New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #191  
Sorry to hear of the mechanical problems HD. The silver lining is that with a 10ft body, you'll have plenty of room for the telescopic hoist without a doghouse. I can't remember which truck had it, but my father had one like that.

BTW - I used to think the scissor lifts were faster. They just seem like the mechanical advantage is there for speed. My 450 lifts so freaking slow that your thumb gets tired of holding the button down (electric over hydraulic up and down) load or no load. Big trucks with PTO pumps are another story, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #192  
4570 - your truck is so clean! Even new trucks on the dealer lots up here have more rust!

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up
Well that sucks big time. Never seems to fail, get a few bucks ahead and plan for one thing...something else eats it up.

Turbo is crazy expensive North of 2 grand.
Good news is brakes are in great shape.
I’m going to keep fixing things mechanically which buys me time to keep looking at used dumps.
Found a 12’ Virginian bed with tele hoist in Richmond (4hrs south of me) for $4,500.

One thing that almost nobody selling a bed will do is show pictures of the undersides, which are usually pretty rusted.

1681988333498.jpeg

1681988368448.jpeg

I had a guy offer $35,000 for it in the parking lot. He told me it’s the most HP/TQ and GVWR they offered without emissions in the 7500 single axle!

Last edited:
   / New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #194  
4570 - your truck is so clean! Even new trucks on the dealer lots up here have more rust!

That’s a 2006 municipal truck from west palm beach FL.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #195  
Turbo is crazy expensive North of 2 grand.
Good news is brakes are in great shape.
I’m going to keep fixing things mechanically which buys me time to keep looking at used dumps.
Found a 12’ Virginian bed with tele hoist in Richmond (4hrs south of me) for $4,500.

I had a guy offer $35,000 for it in the parking lot. He told me it’s the most HP/TQ and GVWR they offered without emissions in the 7500 single axle!
We do brakes every 2 or 3 years on the sanders they rot right off (springs, shoes, drums).

We do brakes every 2 or 3 years on the sanders they rot right off (springs, shoes, drums).
He thinks the previous owner did them recently. I thought they looked ok.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #197  
A lot of our corrosion problems declined when we went to rear discharge. Frames, running gear etc didn't get covered with salt as bad as when it was front discharge.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #198  
Hay Dude, hope you don't have this guy working on your frame :). What a mess, pretty much wrote off the truck I'd say:

WOW thats some stupid sh*+ right there.
Some updates:
I am probably going to replace the outer frame section on the 7500.
Decided to make it a long term addition to the fleet.
It will cost me big, but I have decided it‘s worth it.

The truck inspection place passed the truck as-is, but I am going to try to do this the best I can afford.
You just don’t easily find pre-emissions 340HP/1100TQ 9.4L heavy GVWR single axle 4x4’s with automatics and low miles/hours falling out of trees.

So far I have replaced:
(3) batteries
Starter
Air brake solenoid valve
Turbo
Turn signal lamp
Engine oil change

The list is fairly substantial, but I was expecting.

Last edited:
   / New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #200  
I am probably going to replace the outer frame section on the 7500.
It's going to be a lot of $$ and time for sure but if you're considering the truck as a long term investment it's a good choice, ....a scary choice but a good one long term. Make sure you're prepared for additional items you didn't plan on, there will be some for sure. Pictures, it doesn't happen unless there's pics :)