New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up
So what’s the opinion on cutting the bad piece out and butt welding an 18” piece on the outer back frame? No biggie with a double frame?

Last edited:
   / New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #172  
No biggie with a double frame?
No biggie in my books as long as it's done correctly. That 18" takes in the three bolts from the spring stop? You can catch the single existing bolt hole to bolt thru for the original frame and the spring stop will catch the add on piece.
Careful placement of either the mounts for the subframe if you end up using one, or careful placement of the guides for the body will help reinforce it as well

I was planning on cutting roughly here
Just the outer frame. Inner should be fine.
All the spring hanger bolts would hold it, plus the weld, plugs the rear crossmember.

1679438154874.jpeg

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #174  
What if you went with that 10ft box for now. Don't shorten frame, just mount box at back of frame leaving 2 extra feet at cab. Keep looking for 12ft box. If/when comes available, buy it and install it on your 12ft frame. Just move hoist ram accordingly to fit 12ft box. Just my dumb thoughts. Jon

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #175  
I was planning on cutting roughly here
Yup, better place than I had thought of. You've got the spring stop on the original frame and the perch on the new.
It looks as if the frame extension from the front would work, how much too short are they, can't be a heck of a lot. Although I 'spose an 1" or a 1'..if it's short it's short.

What if you went with that 10ft box for now. Don't shorten frame, just mount box at back of frame leaving 2 extra feet at cab. Keep looking for 12ft box. If/when comes available, buy it and install it on your 12ft frame. Just move hoist ram accordingly to fit 12ft box. Just my dumb thoughts. Jon
It's a viable option, a lot of work tho

The shop can take 5/16” and bend it. I have to look at my overall budget, but if I went with a new 12’ I bet I’m looking at 18-19K. The leftover 10’ more like 15-16K.
I have some other farm tractor and attachment replaced expenses, so I have to be careful and think this through.

Not dumb, but that would be extremely expensive. I want to do this just once and get it behind me. Too much time invested in buying things, shipping, mounting, etc.
I have another piece of equipment we are trying to fix that could be $2,000 or $10,000. We don’t know yet. Once I know, I can finish the truck.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #178  
I’m not following everything you say, but do you mean buying a dumptruck bed with a subframe?
Wouldn’t that mean a scissor hoist instead of a tele hoist?

Don‘t have a problem with that type of hoist, but always thought they were inferior.

I don’t understand fully the rest of what you speak of with the cheek plate….
Will adding a typical pintle plate help strengthen? I think so, but wanted to mention I plan on doing that too

Scissor hoist only get a bad rap because they’re typically too light duty. Powering them with battery pumps doesn’t help. The beefy ones like the one in the middle of this picture are the best ones available for a single axel truck.
IMG_4315.JPG

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #179  
Scissor hoist only get a bad rap because they’re typically too light duty. Powering them with battery pumps doesn’t help. The beefy ones like the one in the middle of this picture are the best ones available for a single axel truck
I've never liked them because of the massive amount of force pushing almost parallel to the length of the body until it's partially up. Look at the size of that cylinder in the second from bottom pic, 10"± or so diameter. For the sake of a couple of degrees, when that loaded body is down, its almost totally horizontal, the mechanical force pushing back when the body is down must be unreal.
I'll take a telescopic cylinder any day over that kind of a setup, that's just my opinion and the experience I've had with them LOL. As the expression goes, opinions are like a$$holes, some stink some don't :).

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #180  
I've never liked them because of the massive amount of force pushing almost parallel to the length of the body until it's partially up. Look at the size of that cylinder in the second from bottom pic, 10"± or so diameter. For the sake of a couple of degrees, when that loaded body is down, its almost totally horizontal, the mechanical force pushing back when the body is down must be unreal.
I'll take a telescopic cylinder any day over that kind of a setup, that's just my opinion and the experience I've had with them LOL. As the expression goes, opinions are like a$$holes, some stink some don't :).

I never liked dog house built in the front of the bed of my last truck. It made loading logs hard and it’s also where dirt would start sticking the worst. A telescoping cylinder provides zero sideways stability to the bed and the whole job falls on the bed pins where a scissor hoist helps with stability. My current truck has duel telescoping cylinders mounted half way down the bed without a buildout in the top side of the bed. It works but it can’t dump the bed as steep as other options could.
IMG_1731.JPG