New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #211  
Yeah, I passed on that truck about 2-3 years ago. It was offered to me for $115K. There was 3 of them ordered by a utility company and they lost their contract. Stuck dealer with them.
Loaded & beautiful trucks.
Was that one of the ones ordered for the Keystone Pipeline? IIRC some dealer up in ME had several similar ones for sale after that was canceled.

Aaron Z

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up
Was that one of the ones ordered for the Keystone Pipeline? IIRC some dealer up in ME had several similar ones for sale after that was canceled.

Aaron Z
Yeah they did go to Maine for a large potato farming business from what I heard.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #213  
I had a Stellar hook lift on a F750. This system is fantastic but in my opinion needs to be on a tandem axle chassis for realistic legal weights. (heavy empty weight for a s/a)
Sounds like you have a good plan Hay D.

I’d like to add a rolloff truck to my fleet. I wish towing a trailer with one was more practical. The ones I’ve seen all have the hoist sticking off too far to tow with.

Hay Dude needs that, I bet he can haul at least one large round with it, maybe even two.
I prefer heavier loads lol

1683333918909.jpeg

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #215  
I’d like to add a rolloff truck to my fleet. I wish towing a trailer with one was more practical. The ones I’ve seen all have the hoist sticking off too far to tow with.
A "roll off" in my definition is what the dumpster trucks have and there rails do extend to where it can interfere with a trailer. The "hook lift" systems do not extend beyond the trucks frame. There's a set of rollers there that's the pivot point of a body. Check out the pictures above. Iirc just the hook lift and 1 "can" added to my chassis was around $60k!
Used dumpster trucks are a much cheaper option but then there's your point. 👍

Outer Frame rails purchased.
OUCH!

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #217  
I bet ouch.
You get them bent or OE?

Got new turbo on truck and WOW what a difference! This thing will flat scoot off the line. :)

Small progress also being made in other areas. This week, after we welded up new exhaust pipe, I added a new battery compartment cover, new stack shield, tail lights and mud flaps.

You can really see the “scarring” on the outer frame right above the battery box. It’s like that in a few other spots. Inspection mechanic doesn’t think new outer frame is necessary.

1685014054960.jpeg

1685014084112.jpeg

1685014160173.jpeg

Need to find (6) newer wheels. I can’t really tell if these are 9” or 8.25” rims. My inspection guy thinks they are 9”. IH spec sheet says 8.25”. The tires are 12R/22.5.
I have been to local truck salvage yard. They have thousands of rims, but none are in sets. :(
Going through 100’s of rims and trying to find matching sets of 4 or 6 is near impossible.

Still trying to decide on bed. Can’t find a suitable used 12’ dump anywhere. 11 and 12 are the hardest to find. I’m not pressed for time (yet) to finish, but summer is the goal for my big ditching job.

It’s kind of fun/challenging bringing this truck back to life. She’s an absolute brute.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #219  
Looking good HD. I was just wondering how u were making out.
You know when you're going to find a 12' body don't you? Right after you commit to a 10', I guarantee if your luck runs like mine that's what'll happen :)

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #220  
Got new turbo on truck and WOW what a difference! This thing will flat scoot off the line. :)

Small progress also being made in other areas. This week, after we welded up new exhaust pipe, I added a new battery compartment cover, new stack shield, tail lights and mud flaps.

You can really see the “scarring” on the outer frame right above the battery box. It’s like that in a few other spots. Inspection mechanic doesn’t think new outer frame is necessary.

View attachment 802250

View attachment 802251

View attachment 802252

Need to find (6) newer wheels. I can’t really tell if these are 9” or 8.25” rims. My inspection guy thinks they are 9”. IH spec sheet says 8.25”. The tires are 12R/22.5.
I have been to local truck salvage yard. They have thousands of rims, but none are in sets. :(
Going through 100’s of rims and trying to find matching sets of 4 or 6 is near impossible.

Still trying to decide on bed. Can’t find a suitable used 12’ dump anywhere. 11 and 12 are the hardest to find. I’m not pressed for time (yet) to finish, but summer is the goal for my big ditching job.

It’s kind of fun/challenging bringing this truck back to life. She’s an absolute brute.
Unless you’re wanting aluminum wheels or yours are in bad shape why not just get them painted or powdered coated.