New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
After a lot of looking around for a dump truck, I finally found pretty much what was wanted.
Must haves were
1. 4x4 chassis
2. Heavy specs (>35K GVWR)
3. Higher than typical HP/TQ
4. 3 stage engine brakes
5. Automatic trans
6. Single thick frame-not double.

I hit on the first 5, but not 6.

2007 IH 7500 4x4, 41,000 GVWR, HT570 (310/1050) with 3 stage brake, Allison Rugged Duty series, double frame.

1667687516354.jpeg

1667687660841.jpeg

1667687566049.jpeg

Just got here today and didnt have a lot of time to go through it. It has a wing plow frame and a stainless steel dump with a live floor salter system and spinner.
I have no use for the salting equipment and would prefer to sell everything off the truck and install a standard 12’ steel dump box.

Last edited:
   / New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #2  
Good find ! That live body sounds like just the thing for your winter sanding but it is a trade off for your summer uses .

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up
Good find ! That live body sounds like just the thing for your winter sanding but it is a trade off for your summer uses .

I really don’t want to go into salting, but it is tempting….

Would rather just have a plain old HD steel dump body.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #4  
Would rather just have a plain old HD steel dump body.

It's still a nice truck. If I remember correctly, you've been wanting it for quite some time.

It's still a nice truck. If I remember correctly, you've been wanting it for quite some time.
I am still hunting a large flatbed for square bales. The Ram & gooseneck have been doing extremely well, so I will wait until the right fit comes along.

Last edited:
   / New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #7  
Nice heavy duty truck, that's some serious GVW for a 6 wheeler. Reminds us what the truck is for. I seem to recall you want it for hay delivery but a 12' bed wont haul much. If you are going into the rock hauling business then that rig is a dandy.

/ New (used) IH 7500 Dump Truck purchase, modification & fix up #8  
I really don’t want to go into salting, but it is tempting…
I worked for NSDOT for 32 years, 25 of those in the welding shop. Seeing the damage salt, brine and calcium chloride does to equipment along with no undercoating, you couldn't pay me enough to put a piece of my equipment thru that.
As for the double frame, that is the only bad thing I see about that setup, the way the rust spreads them apart is unreal. They finally went with single frames the last few years I was there.
Is that an Everest S/S body? You could sell that and the wing gear and get a nice steel body for what you'd get provided the chain and under tray is in good shape. How 'bout the spreader controls? If you're not going to use them, you'd be able to flog that too...

1. I worked for NSDOT for 32 years, 25 of those in the welding shop. Seeing the damage salt, brine and calcium chloride does to equipment along with no undercoating, you couldn't pay me enough to put a piece of my equipment thru that.
As for the double frame, that is the only bad thing I see about that setup, the way the rust spreads them apart is unreal. They finally went with single frames the last few years I was there.
Is that an Everest S/S body? You could sell that and the wing gear and get a nice steel body for what you'd get provided the chain and under tray is in good shape. How 'bout the spreader controls? If you're not going to use them, you'd be able to flog that too...
1. The trucks was undercoated pretty good, but that has begun to peel off and there’s surface rust. It came from a municipality originally and it appears they took very good care of it. The cab sheetmetal is surprisingly good, too. I didn't like the double frame, either, but it hasn’t swelled or separated and a truck like this is a unicorn. Took 2 years of searching to find one with these specs and features.

2. Its a Tarrant/Tarco body. Really nice. Everything looks to be in good shape. Honestly, I’ve only had about 15 minutes to look it over because we are swamped with hay & property work.

You are exactly right on the body swap. I plan to sell the whole set-up and parlay the money into a new 12’ steel dump bed. I would like to clean & paint the frame and fix things while it’s just a chassis, too. No use for the control tower for the wing plows and the large hydraulic tank.

Had one offer of $11,000 for bed & salt equipment. Would like to get $15,000 if possible.

Nice heavy duty truck, that's some serious GVW for a 6 wheeler. Reminds us what the truck is for. I seem to recall you want it for hay delivery but a 12' bed wont haul much. If you are going into the rock hauling business then that rig is a dandy.

No substantial rock hauling. I have a property maintenance/construction business, too.
We have a lot of ditching work where 4WD will be great. Also plan to use it for hauling soil for top dressing my hay fields. Could also buy a 25’ trailer & use it as a backup hay hauler.
Plenty of uses.