trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Well, ya. I'm using my baby sized cordless Makita saws when we head into the field these days. Love those little things (y) Still need and use those pole saws as well. (gas)

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #612  
From usage I can't say enough good things about either my 20 volt DeWalt chainsaw or the pole saw. Yes there's some negatives but this isn't a cordless saw review thread, more of how impressed and grateful I am with what I learned reading this thread about using a pole saw for cutting limbs on a felled tree or small stuff. Both my back and friends backs thank you 😂.

Still plan to work on trails over the weekend.
--------------------------------------------
  • Today: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm.  Patchy fog. Temperature falling to around 37 by 5pm. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Showers and
    Patchy Fog
    High: 43 °F⇓
  • Tonight

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms before 10pm, then a chance of showers between 10pm and 1am, then a slight chance of drizzle after 1am.  Low around 32. East wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Showers then
    Chance
    Showers
    Low: 32 °F
  • Veterans
    Day
    Veterans Day: Rain showers, snow showers, and freezing drizzle likely before 1pm, then rain showers likely between 1pm and 4pm, then rain and snow showers likely after 4pm.  Cloudy, with a high near 38. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no ice accumulation expected.  New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wintry Mix
    Likely
    High: 38 °F
  • Friday
    Night
    Friday Night: Snow showers.  Low around 26. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Snow Showers
    Low: 26 °F
  • Saturday

Saturday: Snow showers.  Patchy blowing snow before 2pm, then patchy blowing snow after 5pm. High near 31. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Snow Showers
    and Patchy
    Blowing Snow
    High: 31 °F
  • Saturday
    Night
    Saturday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1am.  Patchy blowing snow before 8pm. Cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Snow Showers
    Likely and
    Patchy
    Blowing Snow
    Low: 25 °F
  • Sunday

Sunday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 1pm.  Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32.

Chance Snow
    Showers
    High: 32 °F
  • Sunday
    Night
    Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #615  
Do you have a part number for the Stihl 4 string head?

Do you have a part number for the Stihl 4 string head?
I don't have its number since we get them from our dealership. Having said that, they may be off the market until they change its plastic cover. We broke ours twice and my dealer seemed to know about this issue. If this helps, as far as I know, they only make one cam lock type head.
stihlhead20548.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #617  
I don't have its number since we get them from our dealership. Having said that, they may be off the market until they change its plastic cover. We broke ours twice and my dealer seemed to know about this issue. View attachment 770400
My dealer can't seem to find them, they only have the 2 string version.

My dealer can't seem to find them, they only have the 2 string version.
Can you post a picture of it? I didn't know of that version but maybe its for lower powered heads. It does take HP to spin these. Here is a picture of a echo and sthil.
stringhead0301.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #619  
Can you post a picture of it? I didn't know of that version but maybe its for lower powered heads. It does take HP to spin these. Here is a picture of a echo and sthil. View attachment 770402
I didn't think to take a picture but it looks exactly like your 4 string just with 2 instead.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #620  
How often do you find branches/trees across the trail in the winter due to wind or snow load?