trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,221  
For a personal use trail, minor stumps are one thing. For a public use trail, it's better not to have them sticking up, IMPO.

That Gravely deck has a pretty stout blade, clutch protection, and the deck does pretty well at containing debris. The 1970s and early 1980s seems to have been the high water mark for the manufacture of really stout garden tractors like that.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
#1,222  
For a personal use trail, minor stumps are one thing. For a public use trail, it's better not to have them sticking up, IMPO.

That Gravely deck has a pretty stout blade, clutch protection, and the deck does pretty well at containing debris. The 1970s and early 1980s seems to have been the high water mark for the manufacture of really stout garden tractors like that.
And this is why we're looking, or dreaming about a flail type mower. You do not want your users tripping on them, or trash atv tires as you await them to rot out.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,223  
If you use a reciprocating saw you can cut those small stumps off below ground pretty easily. I use a Milwaukee battery recip saw with a carbide blade made to cut nail embedded wood. The blades last longer than I expected them to but blades are consumables.

#1,224  
If you use a reciprocating saw you can cut those small stumps off below ground pretty easily. I use a Milwaukee battery recip saw with a carbide blade made to cut nail embedded wood. The blades last longer than I expected them to but blades are consumables.
That is impractical when doing longest or what I'd call normal length trails.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,226  
I use a reciprocating saw on large stumps after digging out with a backhoe.
To get any close in roots.

Pole saw for 3" plus trees.
Brush cutter with metal blade for 2-3" trees/bushes.

I will use the tractor to pull bushes if it makes sense.

But anything big and one of the chainsaws come out.

I find the brushcutter let's me move the quickest on my somewhat short trails.
Pole (M18) saw for any branches that fall across the trail.

Wish I had explosives for the dead standing trees. What a nuisance they are.

I still need to figure out how to remove the rocks so I can use my flail to do maintenance and speed up that process.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,227  
I figured it would depend on how many stumps you have.

yes you are right a reciprocating saw goes very well if one need to remove roots or stumps from the ground for a small area, it doesn't get dull and you don't have to be careful with it.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,228  
If I'm not using my clearing saw to cut the saplings down low...

I use an Uprooter tool (successor to the Weed Wrench) to pull out sapling stumps or whole saplings if they are a problem. I've used it on Buckthorn up to about 2" diameter with good success.

Years ago, one of the regulars on here posted information about his homemade “Treegetter”. He welded it up to fit the 3-point hitch on his compact tractor. I believe he got the idea from a design made to go on the front-end loader of a much larger tractor. He went with the 3-point hitch mount, since his tractor did not have enough lifting power to do much good mounted on the front-end loader.

In operation, he just backed up to a bunch of saplings with the hitch down low. Once the saplings were wedged in, he lifted the hitch and pulled them out, roots and all... leaving none of the stubble left by brush hogging. He also said he had success pulling out up to 2.5 or 3” diameter trees with this, depending on the tree species. I’ve never used this personally but have contemplated making one.

Something like this might be of use clearing saplings from paths to be used by horses (the stubble left by brush hogging can wreak havoc on their hooves), or perhaps for pulling up invasive plants like Buckthorn.

The pictures and description below are of an incomplete version of the equipment. Eventually, he added teeth across the entire bar, so he didn’t have to “aim” at each specific sapling. I’ve since seen another version that I thought looked better: It had diagonal braces running from the horizontal bar (near where the lower 3-point hitch arms attach) up to the vertical arm near where the upper link attaches, forming a triangle of braces. This seems like a much stronger construction to me. It would better resist bending of the horizontal bar when pulling up a sapling that was off-center. (Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of that unit). I would also consider using a heavier piece for the horizontal crossbar, or at least mount it up on edge with the 3” dimension going up & down to better resist bending, rather than fore and aft as was done in these pictures. In general, it looks as though this unit could use some beefing up at a lot of the joints, given the stresses it will take during use. The concept is an interesting one, however.

Unfortunately, I lost track of who it was who posted this, but I did save some of his description:

The crossbar and the upright for the top link are made from 2” X 3” X 1/2” wall tubing.

The fingers are 15 inches total length (that leaves 12 inches protruding from the crossbar) and are made of 1/2” X 3” flat bar.

I left 1/2 inch in the center of each finger and tapered them back 11 inches. Each finger has a piece of 3/8X2 flat bar welded edge ways and welded to the crossbar to prevent the fingers from bending.

treegetter.jpg

treegetter closeup.jpg

#1,230  
Was at our local stihl dealer and noted .190 spring there. Now I need to ask what head they have that will work with it..... No one there to ask. Will be back tomorrow to look at a mower and will then ask about heads.

Last edited: