trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
How often do you find branches/trees across the trail in the winter due to wind or snow load?
No all that often. If you are proactive in clearing them over the summer/fall, doing that really minimizes the winter-pull down effect.

As seen walking around our trails today. After 3" of rain (lots!) snow, maybe about 12", then a melt off.
P1130646.jpg
P1130658.jpg
P1130655.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #624  
Well yes. These battery saws just don't have the raw power I'm used to but we must note, these pruning saws are quite light and small so we they are nice to use one handed and go into into brush-piles to cut something.. If you have a charging power and spare batteries, I'd now recommend them.

Milwaukee makes an automotive charger for their M18 and M12 cordless batteries. I own one and have used it occasionally. It' not as fast as their 110V chargers, but it does work.

If Makita has something like that, you could recharge from your 6x6.

Milwaukee makes an automotive charger for their M18 and M12 cordless batteries. I own one and have used it occasionally. It' not as fast as their 110V chargers, but it does work.

If Makita has something like that, you could recharge from your 6x6.
The stator on these machines are not beasts of charging capacity. Its poor charging ability was one of the reasons we got rid of our last machine. Still like your idea and thoughts.

Last edited:
Out doing some minor trail work today. Cleared a little area so this machine can get turned around.

Top photo is stump removal.
P1130827.jpg

Do you wonder why chains get dulled?
P1130829.jpg

testing one, two, three....
P1130838.jpg
P1130848.jpg

I posted this elsewhere but maybe you guys might like to see this.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here goes. I went through all that NFS sawyer training certification stuff some 20 years ago and changed many things we do in the woods after that. I really, really did like that course. About 5 years ago we picked up a used 6x6 and again, this positively changed how we could do things to the trails we kept up.. Ya, these are related. We had been hiking in to start work but many trails had logging roads nearby and much reduced our packing in. After getting that machine, we found we could bring many tools along and get more work done instead of expending energy on the hike in..
In this photo you can see the "saw-box" which carries most items when operating gas fueled saws and string tools. It is strong to sit on and its supposed to be watertight but I drilled holes in its bottom to let moisture out. We commonly work when its snowing out. These use the same power heads for strings and saws. In it you can find.

Bar wenches and bar oil.
1 gallon mixed fuel and extra fuel mix oil.
multi tool set, crescent wrenches and screwdrivers (multi end type)
spare chains. chain cover and bar cleaning tool.
chain files and tree wedge kit.
Stings for the whacker, but when the 6x6 is along, we carry bulk reels to simply cut new strings from.

In the Dakine Builders backpack in the sawyer first aid kit, earplugs and other items. When we hike in, we spare down the tools and throw them into this BP.
sawbox.jpg
boss backpack311.jpg
saw0274.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #628  
Arly - I've zero experience with these tracked vehicles - is there any concern about it getting de-tracked/track coming off/track being damaged?
I assume you carry whatever tools you'd need to handle it?
Also, does your cell phone work out there, or do you carry a beacon when you're doing trail work?

/ trail clearing technique and tools #629  
1670959684352.png

Arly - I've zero experience with these tracked vehicles - is there any concern about it getting de-tracked/track coming off/track being damaged?
I assume you carry whatever tools you'd need to handle it?
Also, does your cell phone work out there, or do you carry a beacon when you're doing trail work?
If you de-tracked you are walking out. Nonetheless, they don't often do this unless you are operating a track WAY TO loose or more likely, you have an idler bearings out. The only one I ever de-tracked was from multiple bearings out. Its kinda easy to not have that happen. The fellow we sold our last machine to I made him promise he'd de-tracked those pods and check the bearings. Those been around long round to warrant that.