T-posts in hard ground - a hack

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #41  
I had about 65 locations where the exposed bedrock made me use 2x4 - "L" posts. My neighbor has a commercial air compressor/jack hammer. This will be the final year where we replace the last "L" posts with T-145 steel posts. That jack hammer makes a 2" hole, about 16" deep, fairly quickly.

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #42  
I had about 65 locations where the exposed bedrock made me use 2x4 - "L" posts. My neighbor has a commercial air compressor/jack hammer. This will be the final year where we replace the last "L" posts with T-145 steel posts. That jack hammer makes a 2" hole, about 16" deep, fairly quickly.
How big is the jack hammer? Do you have any info on model/cost.

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #43  
Bill - the actual hammer is pretty big and it's heavy. The air supply comes from a three cylinder diesel mounted on a trailer. It's the type you see at highway construction projects. It is DEFINITELY not a homeowner model. He tows it around with his pickup. When he gets here - I tow it with my tractor. He let me try the hammer once. Got down about 6" and he took over. The major concern - getting the bit stuck in the hole you are drilling.

There is compressed air hissing everywhere - dust and rock chips flying all around. It makes quick work of our basaltic lava.

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #45  
That's pretty slick. A very cute girl and a slick way to pull a T-post.

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #47  
I have some exposed rock on my property. I bought the largest hammer/demo drill Makita makes (SDSmax) Purchased a 1.5'' drill bit and drilled the rock and hammered the T post into the hole.
No need to cement in as the 1.5'' hole is a very tight fit for T post.
You just have to knock the plate off the T post

Last edited:
   / T-posts in hard ground - a hack #48  
Our clay soil doesn't give up a T post once shes been in the ground for a fw years. Takes a big tractor to pull em out and they take a lot of bonded dirt with them.

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #49