T-posts in hard ground - a hack

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
I am in the process of cross-fencing a part of our property (T-posts and barb wire). The ground is a bit hard now (and the area is steep) and after pounding in about 15 of the estimated 90-100+ posts I will need, I decided that my 78 year-old arms and shoulders needed to find a better way. I started using my cordless drill with a 1" bit (the extra long ones) and along my string line I drilled down about 10" first for each post. Then pounded in the posts. I also brought out some water to pour into the holes but it was not needed. It still took a bit of effort but was so much easier. A smarter guy would have put the posts in earlier in the year, but that guy was late to the party.

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #4  
Careful with the post pounding Beowulf, I tore a rotator cuff doing exactly the same thing.
recovery took forever.

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #5  
Adapt and overcome. You have a challenging task. No way I could manual drive 100 T posts in any amount of time considered efficient. :(

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #6  
X2 on the water hack. I even put a quart or half a gallon on the soil the day before pile driving 8"x8" posts. It makes a world of difference to dry clay soil, which is rocklike around here.

I can't wait to try the drill method for T-posts. Thanks!

All the best,

Peter

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #8  
you didn't want to press them down with your bucket? also I have seen some people who bolt a spear on their bucket and they sink it in a foot or so then you put your post in the hole and press it some more with the bucket.