T-posts in hard ground - a hack

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack
BTW - the augers I used re the original post/hack (putting in T-posts in hard ground) were these from Harbor Freight - inexpensive and do the job.

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #52  
   / T-posts in hard ground - a hack #53  
I have one, and have used it a half dozen times. You need a 2' 2x6" as a base as well, or it sinks into the soil, and it often takes a couple of lifts to get most posts out. I keep it around for locations where I can't use a chain and the FEL, and I can't budge the T-post by hand, so it gets used about once every other year. YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #54  
   / T-posts in hard ground - a hack #55  
I have one of the Agrisupply gas pounders. One of my better purchases. I've driven tposts through roots with it. I've had it 3 years. Only use non-ethanol fuel mixed with oil. Push the primer 3-4 times. Put choke on pull chord once turn choke off and pull cord to start. Only time it doesn't start is when I forget to slide the kill switch back to run.

It is heavy and it is loud. Hearing protection is a must.

If you have a helper and arms long enough you can drive them straight in through the hardest clay there is. Without a helper I start them with manual pounder lining up an entire string a few inches in the ground then go through with the gas pounder and drive them one after another.

Having them a few inches in keeps them from falling over while getting the gas pounder over the top of them. 6ft posts I can handle straight in the 6.5ft posts I need to get started. I will do 8 in a row then need to sit it down and rest my arms a bit.

I kill the engine rather than idle it anytime I am sitting it down. It always restarts first pull. It is also very fuel efficient.

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #57  
I see powered post pounders for around $300.

Powered T-post pounder
Yeah, but if you scroll down to the 'specs' and 'compare'.... this one says it's "solar powered" and 110V ---- another says "wind power" ---- it must have something to do with the translation! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #58  
For my rock hard clay pasture I rigged up a gas powered pressure washer, using a screw on tip I use it as a probe and go straight down and make a wet hole then the post drives easily into the wet hole.
Great idea!..... I bet it gets messy though!

/ T-posts in hard ground - a hack #60  
A very good method. It’s also used to find underground pipe.
That's what I use it for all the time.

The prior owners on the ranch here put in pipes and electrical without reference to surface objects, e.g. not 2' out from a fence, or straight from a faucet. I've learned to get out the pressure washer and have a look-see before doing much underground. Wear gloves and solid boots, as pressure injuries are not a joke.

Oh, and yes, can be quite messy depending on the soil type, and whether you are doing a straight shot down for a T-post (not so bad), or excavating to find power lines (careful which way you point the nozzle).

All the best,

Peter