Coolant evaporating

/ Coolant evaporating #1  

Wales919

Tractor
Bx2380
Helllo All,
I’m new to the tractor world. I purchased a 2021 bx2380 with loader, front snowblower and weight box. The tractor only has 35 hours on it. My main purpose for the tractor is to clear my driveway in the winter. It pretty much sits in the garage spring, summer and fall. It seems that my coolant in the reservoir is evaporating because I don’t see any sign of a leak 🤷‍♂️. Anyone have the same issue? I was told that during cold temperatures this is pretty normal. I have no clue!

/ Coolant evaporating #2  
Coolant loss is not normal in a correctly operating cooling system in any season. Normal expansion of the coolant during operation is why you will note the coolant recovery tank level fluctuating up and down.
Check for exterior leaks first, particularly at the hoses and water pump weep hole (if it has one). My zd1211 had an aggravating coolant loss issue that I could not seem to find... For whatever reason, it was only leaking at the lower radiator hose when slightly warm, and would stop when up to operating temp.
Other possibilities are burning the coolant or overheating and forcing coolant out of the recovery tank. Hopefully this is not happening in your case.

/ Coolant evaporating #3  
Check EVERY rad hose clamp point. My brand new RTV coolant level would never go down in the summer, but would always lose coolant in the winter, after use when it cooled down over night. Never a drip or puddle.
It took me many tries to finally find a hose connection that had some staining. I tightened clamp and it still kept getting a green stain. Sometimes you have to actually take them off, clean it a bit and reinstall.

/ Coolant evaporating #4  
worth replacing radiator cap as well. slight evap could be leaking past the cap seal. suggest OEM
regards

Last edited:
   / Coolant evaporating #5  
Coolant does not evaporate, it escapes to somewhere. check all hose connections, tighten or replace clamps as required.
Clean the gasket area of the rad cap and pressure test the system.

/ Coolant evaporating #6  
And then,, Dom-De-De-Dahhhhh ,, the worst case,,
the tractor has a coolant leak into a combustion cylinder,,

It could be as easy as a head gasket
OR,,,
a cracked head, or cracked block.

It is a 2021 year model,, if it was a JD it would be still under warranty,,
Did you check with the dealer?? the fix may be free.

/ Coolant evaporating #7  
I had a similar problem on my new L4701. Took nearly three months of searching and adding coolant to overflow tank. Finally found a very slight vapor only leak at the water pump to radiator hose clamp. Being the lazy mechanic, (translates to "don't fix what aint broke") I got out my nut driver and tightened the clamp. It seems to have worked, have not had to add any coolant for more than a hundred plus hours of use.

/ Coolant evaporating #8  
Coolant can boil off/ evaporate if the leak is over something really hot. Look for a stain and it will leed you to a leak.

/ Coolant evaporating #9  
Helllo All,
I’m new to the tractor world. I purchased a 2021 bx2380 with loader, front snowblower and weight box. The tractor only has 35 hours on it. My main purpose for the tractor is to clear my driveway in the winter. It pretty much sits in the garage spring, summer and fall. It seems that my coolant in the reservoir is evaporating because I don’t see any sign of a leak 🤷‍♂️. Anyone have the same issue? I was told that during cold temperatures this is pretty normal. I have no clue!
Do you have the updated coolant reservoir cap that was in a recall? They had caps that were not vented so pressure would build up and maybe leak or crack the tank.

See this video:

/ Coolant evaporating

OR,,,

OR,,,

They said it is not covered and they wanted to charge me like $600 to come out and service it. I bought the machine brand new, I don’t think it should be having any problems yet. It only gets used to clear my driveway and then goes in the garage.