Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT?

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #91  
I have a subframe backhoe on my Kubota b8200 and never plan to take it off. But here’s where it gets weird: I HAVE spent a fair bit of time thinking about putting some draw pins on the back of the backhoe frame and using pull type 3pt attachments with the backhoe in place!

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT?
Hey Eric, so the Case isn't something you would use much for anything other than backhoe work?

I ask because losing the Case altogether (to trade it for a mini ex) could leave you with a possible void?

We all have different needs though. For myself I mount and use the hoe about 1/15th of the time, mostly use the tractor for other things. mowing, fork lift for firewood totes, grapple/brush removal, and FEL work. But then again I fit a pretty homogenous need/use factor when it comes to a piece of equipment like a tractor.

I look at mini excavators, and really see the way they could substantially improve maybe 25% overall of what I'm doing around the homestead... based on my use patterns. I could even say up to 50% if I stretch it.

2 things:

I can't lose the FEL/mowing/,bucket/forklift capabilities of a tractor, and even though some of those capabilities can be added back to the right sized ex, speed/maneuverability of a tractor isn't something I can move away from.

It's really interesting comparing the functionality of todays very expandable ag tractors or even skid loaders and (excavators to a degree) to the personal computer. They are all the "Swiss Army knives" of their respective genre.

For $600/ month... I'm filling lots of needs here. After 2.5 years behind the wheel, I'm thoroughly impressed with the robustness and variability these machines offer the everyday needs of so many out there.

There are 3 top items for me here.

I wish I would have done this 5, 10, or even 15 years ago.

I'm glad I bought new over used.

The Cab is one of the most enjoyable features other than the backhoe and Grapple I could have ever added.

I'm so very lucky to have made the right choice for me... and at the right time as well! Prices have soared over the last two years, 20% or more over pre-pandemic rates. I doubt they will ever come back down.
I have done a lot of work with the Case. I bought it to install my septic system even though I had never sat on a backhoe and had never done any septic work. The machine has done a ton of work for me but It really sits idle almost all of the time. I use my YM2310 with the FEL for much of the work I used to do with the Case. The bucket doesn't hold as near as much but the much smaller size of the machine makes it so much easier to use around the place now that it is pretty much developed. I would use the Case more if the backhoe wasn't attached but I am not going to attempt removing the backhoe.
So even though the Yanmar is smaller and so can't carry as much the small size makes it possible to get into smaller spaces and I don't need to constantly worry about where the backhoe is. With the Case I am constantly looking back to make sure the hoe doesn't hit something and I use my hands to press the boom swinging pedals to swing the hoe out of the way quite often. It seems like there is always a car or a truck or a tree or a bench or whatever that needs to be missed.
I do love the old Case though, it has done a LOT of work for me. Besides the septic it has put in ditches, dug big holes for rock disposal, put in a road and re-habbed another, buried my neighbor's horse, etc.
Eric

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #93  
Additionally, I've found that a top&tilt option for the Kubota isn't offered if you have a backhoe subframe. Again clearance issued prevent this. You would think that instead of designing a subframe, and then finding that other upgrade or additional offered updates to the hydraulic functionality are hindered by its design, that Kubota would have done a contentious design taking into consideration all they need to.
I take the toplink off when mounting the backhoe, but that just takes a few seconds: undo the quick disconnect hydraulics from my hydraulic toplink, then pull the pin. I also do have to put my manual sidelink on in place of the hydraulic one, but that's also quick. I know the toplink has to come off. I've never really tried to mount the backhoe with the hydraulic side link in place, but I'm betting there is not enough room for it. Not a big deal for me, since I switch to the manual sidelink when running the brushhog anyway (I did not spring for a sidelink with double piloted check valves, so it leaks down in use.)

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #94  
one of my pet peeves was not being able to move it from the backhoe seat, I fixed that. I still would like to be able to swing like a excavator, haven't figured that one out yet though

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #95  
I take the toplink off when mounting the backhoe, but that just takes a few seconds: undo the quick disconnect hydraulics from my hydraulic toplink, then pull the pin. I also do have to put my manual sidelink on in place of the hydraulic one, but that's also quick. I know the toplink has to come off. I've never really tried to mount the backhoe with the hydraulic side link in place, but I'm betting there is not enough room for it. Not a big deal for me, since I switch to the manual sidelink when running the brushhog anyway (I did not spring for a sidelink with double piloted check valves, so it leaks down in use.)
John, do you have the same setup as I do?

On the Kubota, there is an issue with clearance of the top and tilt hydraulic cylinders with the backhoe subframe. Those will hit each other at certain points in extension. (I'm told)

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #96  
I have done a lot of work with the Case. I bought it to install my septic system even though I had never sat on a backhoe and had never done any septic work. The machine has done a ton of work for me but It really sits idle almost all of the time. I use my YM2310 with the FEL for much of the work I used to do with the Case. The bucket doesn't hold as near as much but the much smaller size of the machine makes it so much easier to use around the place now that it is pretty much developed. I would use the Case more if the backhoe wasn't attached but I am not going to attempt removing the backhoe.
So even though the Yanmar is smaller and so can't carry as much the small size makes it possible to get into smaller spaces and I don't need to constantly worry about where the backhoe is. With the Case I am constantly looking back to make sure the hoe doesn't hit something and I use my hands to press the boom swinging pedals to swing the hoe out of the way quite often. It seems like there is always a car or a truck or a tree or a bench or whatever that needs to be missed.
I do love the old Case though, it has done a LOT of work for me. Besides the septic it has put in ditches, dug big holes for rock disposal, put in a road and re-habbed another, buried my neighbor's horse, etc.
Eric

Sounds like our JD310 - which has similar size and ability and heated cab.
It is rarely used: mostly just sits there with the battery charged and joints lubed. But in the last ten years we have had two forest fires, a flood, and half a dozen major storms. Along with deep snow and big trees blown down. That's when it is worth the space it takes up. Otherwise it sits. Just sitting doesn't hurt them at all.

Someday hope to have a little tiny 20 hp backhoe and FEL for daily use. We used to have one, and it was very handy. Moreso than the big one - but for me to consider buying one it would have to have a full length subframe, a front PTO, and a 3pt that is accessible when the backhoe is on.
rScotty

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #97  
Sounds like our JD310 - which has similar size and ability and heated cab.
It is rarely used: mostly just sits there with the battery charged and joints lubed. But in the last ten years we have had two forest fires, a flood, and half a dozen major storms. Along with deep snow and big trees blown down. That's when it is worth the space it takes up. Otherwise it sits. Just sitting doesn't hurt them at all.

Someday hope to have a little tiny 20 hp backhoe and FEL for daily use. We used to have one, and it was very handy. Moreso than the big one - but for me to consider buying one it would have to have a full length subframe, a front PTO, and a 3pt that is accessible when the backhoe is on.
rScotty
Everyone has such individual needs and requirements. I can't imagine, as a manufacturer, how to decide what to have and not have as options or functionality.

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #98  
John, do you have the same setup as I do?

On the Kubota, there is an issue with clearance of the top and tilt hydraulic cylinders with the backhoe subframe. Those will hit each other at certain points in extension. (I'm told)
My subframe was made by Woods (which they called their 4 point quick attach, If I recall correctly), and I have a Woods 7500 backhoe. It fits so close to the rear of the tractor that I can't fit ANY toplink in there (manual or hydraulic) when the BH is mounted. (I suppose I could leave the toplink in if I removed the backhoe seat, but who wants to run a backhoe like that?)

I've not tried to mount the backhoe with the hydraulic side link in place. I suspect even if the cylinger clears, the hydraulic hoses wold be a hassle

When the backhoe is off, the subframe remains on the tractor. It does not interfere with the Top-n-Tilt or any 3 pt hitch implements.

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #99  
My subframe was made by Woods (which they called their 4 point quick attach, If I recall correctly), and I have a Woods 7500 backhoe. It fits so close to the rear of the tractor that I can't fit ANY toplink in there (manual or hydraulic) when the BH is mounted. (I suppose I could leave the toplink in if I removed the backhoe seat, but who wants to run a backhoe like that?)

I've not tried to mount the backhoe with the hydraulic side link in place. I suspect even if the cylinger clears, the hydraulic hoses wold be a hassle

When the backhoe is off, the subframe remains on the tractor. It does not interfere with the Top-n-Tilt or any 3 pt hitch implements.
Does it reduce your ground clearance?

/ Anybody using a backhoe attachment on their CUT? #100  
Does it reduce your ground clearance?
The backhoe itself does. The subframe has never been an issue - I’ll have to take a closer once my tractor is fully back together. The subframe is mainly two rails running from the loader posts back to the rear axle. I’ve never noticed them hung up on anything, and the paint is still in fairly good shape on them. I have dragged the belly pan a couple of times (once when I unexpectedly hit some deep mud), but that’s something I added, not part of the subframe.