The last Barn. (maybe)

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #172  
I found using my splitter vertical was MUCH easier on my back. Does yours rotate for that?

You should also NOT run the motor inside your building (even with the "doors open")...

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I found using my splitter vertical was MUCH easier on my back. Does yours rotate for that?

You should also NOT run the motor inside your building (even with the "doors open")...
I have raised the splitter up about 5" and my back feels much better using it now.

As to the running it inside; we generally have a constant breeze from the back of the barn to the front. I definitely thought about CO poisoning but I feel confident that the breeze is enough to keep us breathing good air.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #176  
I'm on the fence about vapor barrier. I think there's a lot of logistical variances that come into play.

If I were building this in Missouri I wouldn't put a vapor barrier down.
Why no vapor barrier in MO. I would have thought it was needed here...

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #177  
Why no vapor barrier in MO. I would have thought it was needed here...
I don't think location dictates a vapor barrier or not as much as usage.

There's a lot of disinformation concerning plastic vapor barriers. The biggest is that the plastic will keep ground water from coming thru the concrete......

If the building is somewhat climate controlled there will be no condensation on the floor. It happens when the floor temp and the air touching the concrete have a large temp difference. Simple condensation.

I'm on my 3rd shop. All three are/were heated in the Winter. None of them have/had a vapor barrier. Only one has insulation under the concrete and the floor is heated. None of them had condensation issues on the concrete.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #178  
I have to be honest, your diesel tanks don’t look right. The paint is to shiny and they aren’t all rusty, at least that’s how they all look around here.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I have to be honest, your diesel tanks don’t look right. The paint is to shiny and they aren’t all rusty, at least that’s how they all look around here.
I'll have to post again in 20 years, they might look like all the others around me too.
I did get 2 quarts of paint with the tanks. I might give them a good second coat next summer.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I don't think location dictates a vapor barrier or not as much as usage.

There's a lot of disinformation concerning plastic vapor barriers. The biggest is that the plastic will keep ground water from coming thru the concrete......

If the building is somewhat climate controlled there will be no condensation on the floor. It happens when the floor temp and the air touching the concrete have a large temp difference. Simple condensation.

I'm on my 3rd shop. All three are/were heated in the Winter. None of them have/had a vapor barrier. Only one has insulation under the concrete and the floor is heated. None of them had condensation issues on the concrete.
I'm with you Richard, I've never used a vapor barrier under concrete and have never had a problem either. Even under a hay stack.