Taking down some trees for land clearing - how high should I leave stumps for easier removal?

/ Taking down some trees for land clearing - how high should I leave stumps for easier removal? #11  

J.I. Case 430 Utility​

Dimensions
Gas Wheelbase77.1875 inches
196 cm
Diesel Wheelbase78.4375 inches
199 cm
Gas Length129.75 inches
329 cm
Diesel Length131 inches
332 cm
Loader-tractor Length177 inches
449 cm
Loader-backhoe Length264 inches
670 cm
Width77 inches
195 cm
Height (steering wheel)60.5 inches
153 cm
Weight6575 lbs (loader-tractor)
2982 kg

/ Taking down some trees for land clearing - how high should I leave stumps for easier removal? #12  
Depends on how big an excavator you can get

0mwWjMq.jpg

jRHOKt3.jpg

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Taking down some trees for land clearing - how high should I leave stumps for easier removal? #13  
You need a 50,000 pound trackhoe to do any good digging 30” stumps. A mini would take all day to dig the first one.
IMG_1753.JPG

/ Taking down some trees for land clearing - how high should I leave stumps for easier removal? #14  
Physics says leave high as possible for most leverage and least force required.
So..how many lb-ft of force is required to rip out the stump by leveraging the top?
Not an easy question as there’s so many factors including tree type, root structure, root depth, soil conditions, etc..

Let’s make up a scenario where (say) 10,000 lb pull or push at 10’ high (100,000 ft-lbs) is required.
One can see that if stumps are cut at 5’, you now need 20,000 lb pulling force to get that 100,000 ft-lbs.
If a cable is attached 25’ high, you only need a 4000 lb pulling force to get 100,000 ft-lbs.

So.. what force is required by tree, and how much can your machine provide? That’s the answer to how high. …unless you just dig them out.

My slow method, when I want the stump gone, is to pull the tree down with a cable before I cut the tree off the stump. My tractor’s probably around 8000 lbs and I haven’t met a tree yet that a cable high enough couldn’t overcome.

/ Taking down some trees for land clearing - how high should I leave stumps for easier removal?
To have a noticable impact you'd have to leave 3ft or more. On a 30" you'd need 6ft or more.

On the larger trees is it possible to dig them intact? That would help a lot.

On the smalls, if cutting first, I'd cut wherever it suited me.
I don’t have digging equipment at the moment, just a saw, and I need to get lumber and firewood going sooner rather than later. I would LOVE to topple them and let them take out their own rootball!

/ Taking down some trees for land clearing - how high should I leave stumps for easier removal?
Why I prefer having them ground. A good stump grinder will cut them at least 6" below grade. Little ones, I pop out.
But I want to plow a foodplot. . .

Physics says leave high as possible for most leverage and least force required.
So..how many lb-ft of force is required to rip out the stump by leveraging the top?
Not an easy question as there’s so many factors including tree type, root structure, root depth, soil conditions, etc..

Let’s make up a scenario where (say) 10,000 lb pull or push at 10’ high (100,000 ft-lbs) is required.
One can see that if stumps are cut at 5’, you now need 20,000 lb pulling force to get that 100,000 ft-lbs.
If a cable is attached 25’ high, you only need a 4000 lb pulling force to get 100,000 ft-lbs.

So.. what force is required by tree, and how much can your machine provide? That’s the answer to how high. …unless you just dig them out.

My slow method, when I want the stump gone, is to pull the tree down with a cable before I cut the tree off the stump. My tractor’s probably around 8000 lbs and I haven’t met a tree yet that a cable high enough couldn’t overcome.
I have a 40hp Case 430. . .

/ Taking down some trees for land clearing - how high should I leave stumps for easier removal? #18  
Never understood the food plot thing. Deer are natural grazers in the first place

If you gtind them, as low as possible. I tend to yank all mine out so I cut them high (6-8 feet) and use my M9 to yank them out. The big ones I have ground. Have a buddy with a Vermeer stump grinder.
Nice to have good toys. . . 40hp Case 430 is what I am working with. . .

Never understood the food plot thing. Deer are natural grazers in the first place
Food plot for ME 😁 cabbage onions beans taters etc.

any deer come near it are going in the freezer.