Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #491  
Speaking of mangled fingers lots of stories lol Driving a fork truck in a crowded boat yard made a sharp turn and like a moron for more than just one reason used to put my hand out holding he top of roll cage like a grab handle crushed my hand between roll cage and a boat hull cuz they all are flared out somewhat, fortunately for the boat my hand provided a nice buffer and I only had to clean the blood off the hull from my now nailless mangled fingers.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #492  
Back in the 70s when I was working on trucks and construction equipment, I had to have my wedding ring cut off twice. After the second one, I didn't wear one.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #494  
Back in the 70s when I was working on trucks and construction equipment, I had to have my wedding ring cut off twice. After the second one, I didn't wear one.
I switched over to wearing a silicone rubber one for awhile. Actually liked it, but they stretch and get loose over time, requiring periodic replacement. Now I just keep the ring in a drawer when working in the shop or outside, and only put it on when donning dress clothes for business, dinners, or church.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #495  
......used to put my hand out holding he top of roll cage like a grab handle.....
I can relate. Done the same thing backing up on a fork lift to get to the door opener (being too lazy to get off the machine) Had my hand on the ROP and hit the door track, didn't hurt the track but sure did hurt my fingers.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #496  
This is really stupid.

We just moved into a vacation place in Florida. Great weather and never had the heater on. Had the a/c going a few times.

Last week it got a little cool and my wife turned on the heater. I go outside and hear the a/c unit fan motor going. Thought my wife mistakenly turned on the a/c v. heat.

Go inside and see the heat was indeed on.

Huh?

Call the a/c place and say something is wrong.
The heat is on but the outside a/c unit is running.

The nice tech says - “sir, you have a heat pump. The outside unit always runs when the heat is on”.

Sure enough.

Would have only felt more stupid had the guy actually came to the house.

Never had a heat pump before.
When we moved here about 25 years ago, there was an air source heat pump installed. We have no natural or LP gas, so backup is resistance heat. That heat pump was worthless when it got down to 10 degrees. The electric bills were killing us, so we got rid of it and installed geothermal. We are much happier with the ground source heat pump, no defrosting is necessary and the electric bill is half of what it used to be.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #497  
Not being used to a heat pump in our last house I did something similar

In the winter, we had the heat running.

Was outside and walked past the unit just as it went into defrost mode.

Well all of a sudden the unit let out this God awful squeal

Scared the living daylights out of me. I thought the motor was fixing to seize.

I freaked, call the heating and air conditioning company and explained what was going on.

Guy asked if the motor started running again???

I said yes, as a matter of fact it did.

That's when he explained about the defrost mode when it's set to heat.

When you hung up he told his coworker:
Damn Yankees, don't know anything."

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #498  
When we moved here about 25 years ago, there was an air source heat pump installed. We have no natural or LP gas, so backup is resistance heat. That heat pump was worthless when it got down to 10 degrees. The electric bills were killing us, so we got rid of it and installed geothermal. We are much happier with the ground source heat pump, no defrosting is necessary and the electric bill is half of what it used to be.
How many holes did they have to drill? They are doing one of them on This Old House and I can’t remember but I think they drilled eight holes 800’ deep, that can’t be cheap.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #499  
When you hung up he told his coworker:
Damn Yankees, don't know anything."
I had actually lived over 20 years in the south. But never had a place that had a heat pump. Both houses in Florida, and my apartment in Arkansas had gas heat, and a stand alone ac unit.

The house I bought in Arkansas was the first one with a heat pump.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #500  
How many holes did they have to drill? They are doing one of them on This Old House and I can’t remember but I think they drilled eight holes 800’ deep, that can’t be cheap.
Well, they never over-do anything on TOH. :rolleyes::p There are entire threads on other forums about homeowners being driven broke by participating in one of that show’s renovations. Guilty pleasure, I used to watch it every weekend, but they did go a bit over the top in recent years.

I’ll ask two of my neighbors who have gotten new deep well geo systems in the last ten years, but I think both have fewer and shallower holes than that, in 5000 and 8000 sq ft, respectively.