Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #231  
A while back, how is it now? Ouch...hurts just looking at it.
Here's a stupid but funny one happened 30 years ago. (Wife & I together 51 years & her birthday is tomorrow). We had to dispose of a Magnavox console TV. Anyone old enough to remember this had the stereo built in, tube type, about as big as a coffin. So we load onto my truck and went to a dumpster site about 15 miles away very late at night. We pull up to a dumpster which is waaaay tall. Oh well, we'll have to muscle it in! I'm 6'1", she's 5'10" and we're sliding it straight up, then stand on pickup bed edge...both shaking...finally heave it in...BOOM! We're both out of breath, resting a bit, I hug her "Well! We did it!"...then as I circle truck around the drive goes uphill and I see we were at the BACK of dumpster! All we had to do at top was simply push it off back of truck! 🙄
Duh

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #233  
A while back, how is it now? Ouch...hurts just looking at it.
it’s been 6 years or so I only felt it for about 1 year at most …after 6 week I was walking with a cane, 8 week I was back underground full duty but with lots of pain especially in the first few days. Now it’s like it never happen other then a bit of nerve damage near the cut but that’s it … the worse i’d say was they didn’t see the fracture (there wasn’t any displacement) and after I got stitch up the doctor was like it’s not broken you can walk on it… i was like you didn’t drug me enough for that there is no way … he insisted told me to walk on my heel but there was no way… so I left hopping on one leg without crutches… i hop around on one leg for one week before i got my hands on crutches the throbbing pain was brutal as soon as I lowered it, it felt like it wanted to explode … I went to the clinic for a medical paper for work and that’s when I learned it was broken … I don’t have much to compare since I only broke my nose other than that but I broken nose is a walk in the park compare to a foot.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #234  
I was bucking an Ash tree. I had cut most of the bottom and top branches and had them moved. The Y was leaning against another tree in a perfect position for me to cut the top branch, probably 16-18" both top and bottom at the cut.

While I was cutting the top, the lower branch disintegrated (gotta love dead ash) and the top came down on the side of my leg. probably 6feet of 16-18" Ash.
A whole year later and I still walk with a slight limp.

Now I have the trunks/branches all flat on the ground for bucking. Who knew a large branch could just split and fall apart so easily.
Luckily I had already cut off the base, that was quite a bit larger and would have just gone through my leg.

I still have that piece of the tree sitting next to the path as a reminder and have not moved it to the splitting pile.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #235  
Never had a boat growing up. Got a nice 75hp 16’ just for me and my 16 yr old son to run around local lakes. Had a few issues, found someone to change the ignition system and ran like a top. my boy and I wanted to invite my wife to come along one day (she hadn’t ever been) to show off. Brought her sister too. Backed it down, released from trailer with my son in the cockpit and I pulled away.

After I parked I heard the starter just grinding. He couldn’t start it. I ended up swimming out 50 yards to “show the yung ‘un how it’s done”. After 10 minutes of everything I could try, we pulled the cover. 20 minutes of trying and fiddling and assembling later, no joy. We both jumped in and took turns pulling it to shore, humiliated.

Got home and noticed the kill switch lanyard had come dislodged at some point….

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #236  
Never had a boat growing up. Got a nice 75hp 16’ just for me and my 16 yr old son to run around local lakes. Had a few issues, found someone to change the ignition system and ran like a top. my boy and I wanted to invite my wife to come along one day (she hadn’t ever been) to show off. Brought her sister too. Backed it down, released from trailer with my son in the cockpit and I pulled away.

After I parked I heard the starter just grinding. He couldn’t start it. I ended up swimming out 50 yards to “show the yung ‘un how it’s done”. After 10 minutes of everything I could try, we pulled the cover. 20 minutes of trying and fiddling and assembling later, no joy. We both jumped in and took turns pulling it to shore, humiliated.

I thought you were going to say that you left the drain plug out... not that I would know anything about THAT!!!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #237  
I thought you were going to say that you left the drain plug out... not that I would know anything about THAT!!!
Had a roommate do that to his boat 🤣😂🤣🤣😂

He was sh#t backing up a trailer. So I backed his boat and trailer down the boat ramp.

He fired up his boat and backed that off the trailer and I started to pull out. Luckily for him I was watching the back mirror as I started up the ramp and was able to stop when I saw him chasing me trying to get the boat back onto the trailer 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂😂

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #238  
I’ll just say I’ve been present when that happened. My dad taught us how to bog the boat at maybe 5 mph to drain it back out.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #239  

And now you know why experienced boaters always start the boat while it is still on the trailer! Ha ha

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #240  
My Dad had no ego and laughed at things he did. In WWII he was in the Navy on a battleship working in the kitchen when the cook said the spaghetti was ready...drain the pot. He said the pot was a few hundred gallons. He opened the valve and it all went down the drain. The cook said "you're supposed to hold a strainer over it".