Small UTV for $5000?

/ Small UTV for $5000? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
I'm looking to replace my old 3-wheeler with a side by side and I'm trying to determine what I should be looking at. I know my budget puts me in the used category and I'm fine with that. I just want something that's clean and been well cared for. I had originally thought to heck with a UTV and I'd buy a go-fast sport bike and I still might. I just have a chemical sprayer that gets a LOT of use each year and I could use the UTV as a spray vehicle. But spraying is about the only utility job I would be doing. I could get a 3pt hitch sprayer and use my little tractor if I decided to go with a sport atv.

I know the Mule 610 is probably the cheapest option. My grandpa bought a very clean used one for $4000. It's great for him but seems like its low to the ground for me.

I really like the Rhino, but I've been watching them and in my area you can't find one for under $6000 that has not been abused.

I don't see any small size Rangers for sale used either. I'm really at a loss for what I should do here.

/ Small UTV for $5000? #2  
Look for a used JD Gator XUV 620I.
That has the Kawasaki fuel injected engine.
4WD
Independent front and rear for good ground clearance.
Full roll cage, easy and cheap to get a roof and windshield.
Still small enough to be nimble but a good sized bed and has 2" receiver hitch.

I had one and really liked it, just needed bigger.

/ Small UTV for $5000?
That's a good looking rig. I'll keep my eye out for one of those as well.

/ Small UTV for $5000? #4  
Keep looking for a Rhino;they made a 450cc for a few years,those are less apt to be abused.

/ Small UTV for $5000? #5  
The Rhinos are holding their value because a lot of people don't like the size or price of the new Viking. The smaller utv's are in very high demand right now and used prices reflect that.

/ Small UTV for $5000? #6  
take a look at the Bobcat 2100 (it's the same as Pioneer 1200) made by Club Car, it's a golf cart on steroids!!!!!!!!
I sold this one about two years ago.

Bobcat 2100 040.JPG Bobcat 2100 044.JPG Bobcat 2100 050.JPG home 031.JPG

/ Small UTV for $5000? #7  
Those older "bobcat" club cars are actually really useful. No 4x4 but with the rear locked in they do pretty well. I had one a while back and would buy another in a heartbeat.

/ Small UTV for $5000? #8  
I know the Mule 610 is probably the cheapest option. My grandpa bought a very clean used one for $4000. It's great for him but seems like its low to the ground for me.

No, there isn't a bunch of clearance under the 610. And the suspension travel is pretty short on them. BUT....I haven't really found this to be an issue. The 610 is so small, you can usually drive around whatever might hit the bottom of the machine. You do have to be careful as it's pretty easy to pick up a tire, but I think it'd be hard to lay it over.

I did a big upgrade on mine, including a 2" lift kit, skid plates and better wheels and tires. I know I'll probably bang the bottom at some point, but now I don't worry about it so much.

Here's a link to what I did:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...aki-mule-610-upgrade-project.html#post3659455

We have 4010 diesel trans at work, and other than some maintenance issues, they're nice units as well. But I don't know what the market is like for those where you are.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

NV

/ Small UTV for $5000?
I wanted to get members thoughts on this utv: 2012 Polaris Ranger 400HO 4x4

I went and looked at it yesterday and it looks much better in person than the photos. It was dirty, but I think it would clean up and look very nice. There are 455 hours on it. I drove it and didn't notice any problems. It ran and drove very well and sounded strong.

3 negatives that I found. One is the tires are all bald. The guy lives up in the rocky hills and he said the rocks and gravel destroy tires. So I'd immediately have to replace 4 tires. The second thing is the little clear bubble over the fuel cap broke and it leaks gas out the top of the cap when going over bumps. I'd have to replace the fuel cap/guage. Then the third thing is that the starter kept turning over for a few seconds after the motor had already started. I think this is a common Ranger problem as I've seen this on 2 other Rangers in the past.

/ Small UTV for $5000? #10  
If those are the only issues I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if that's what you want. Doesn't seen like a bad price either but I don't know what they go for used with a certain number of hours.