Electric UTVs

/ Electric UTVs #31  
Thanks for info on Hisun. Have contacted them. Polaris does not seem to be having the Ranger available. Think they're pushing the Kinetic.
The Kinetic IS a ranger, but good luck finding either of their EV Rangers in stock.

/ Electric UTVs #32  
The Kinetic IS a ranger, but good luck finding either of their EV Rangers in stock.
It sounded to me like the Ranger Kinetic replaced the Ranger EV. The Kinetic seems like a nice unit, but priced way beyond our budget, even if you found one.

/ Electric UTVs #33  
It sounded to me like the Ranger Kinetic replaced the Ranger EV. The Kinetic seems like a nice unit, but priced way beyond our budget, even if you found one.
I agree, the Kinetic sure sounds like a great machine, but way too expensive for my needs.

/ Electric UTVs #34  
I agree, the Kinetic sure sounds like a great machine, but way too expensive for my needs.
Sounds like a marketing strategy called "skimming". Peel off customers willing to pay a premium during a temporary monopoly, then introduce lower prices/models after that sweet spot. Maybe prices will drop?

/ Electric UTVs #35  
Sounds like a marketing strategy called "skimming". Peel off customers willing to pay a premium during a temporary monopoly, then introduce lower prices/models after that sweet spot. Maybe prices will drop?
Or maybe they'll come out with a less deluxe version. If they had one that was closer to the Ranger 570, but with modern batteries and charging (Lithium-Ion batteries aand the standard J-1772 charge port, like the Kinetic has, I'd have given it a serious look.)

/ Electric UTVs #36  
Mrs. T decided she wanted an EV UTV. In our particular situation, it seems to be a good fit. A work UTV on our retirement property. No trail riding. No risk of running out of 'juice'. Just us and some dog, so 3 seats is plenty.

She chose the Chinese one. (I know). Hisun Sector E1. $13500 with winch, windscreen and roof standard. I don't like buying Chinese products, but also will not bite off my nose to spite my face.

There are too few choices right now and Polaris made theirs such a 'deluxe' model that the prices were crazy. The Kinetic starts at $25k. Once you add in some basics, it is more than double the price. I figure worst case it breaks down after warranty and we have to buy new...still less money. Maybe by then, a few more choices will be available.
I bought the Polaris ranger EV. given the service I got with a minor warranty claim, I should have not bothered buying American.

They refuse to mail me a $64.99 part and want me to haul to a dealership to install a new gas cylinder for the dump bed. Because that's their rule for all warranty work.

It's cheaper for me to buy online. I'll spend more in diesel hauling to the dealership than I'd spend buying a new part. Installing is two pins... It doesn't even require tools.

Even better, I found an aftermarket repair, because the quality is so poor someone has put a repair kit on the market.

/ Electric UTVs #37  
Not sure what caused a change of heart from Polaris corporate, my local dealer called me today and said that they are being asked to send a tech to install that $65 Part.

I did mention that I'd left a blistering review... Poor timing on that first year survey hitting my emailbox about 2 days after I spent an hour on the phone.

I didn't mention that it included using the lowest satisfaction possible with a clear and inexpensive resolution. I'm still recovering from my surgery so I definitely appreciate it.

He will come tomorrow.

Polaris still might reconsider how they treat minor warranty claims. But in the end they are doing the right thing.

/ Electric UTVs #38  
We finally pulled the trigger on this.
1000001385.jpg

$13,200 out the door. 3500 lb winch, roof, windshield all standard. Delivery included (about 60 miles). Next step is to disable the backup beep. Very loud. I'll keep you all posted on the good and the bad. Dealer had stock, we could have had one same day, but needed to make some room in the garage first.

The driver position is a little snug for me, but I need to lose weight. Has tilt wheel, so that helps a bit. It is much faster than we need. So far, I only went about 100 yards with it. I was already hot and tired, will give it a longer run this morning.

/ Electric UTVs #39  
@Torvy -

That Sector electric UTV looks interesting, and a reasonable price. They claim a 42 mile range and a tow rating of 1500#. That would work for me, since most of my use is on my own property, and when I have larger loads to haul, I'm using my tractor or antique pickup. I'll be interested to hear how it works for you and whether you find their specs realistic.

Do you know what kind of batteries it uses? The spec page just says "Dry Cell" which does not tell me much.

/ Electric UTVs #40  
Well, my trailer is about 1000 lbs, so at some point I'll give it a try. It comes with a 2 inch receiver sleeve, but therein lies my first problem. There is an alignment problem and the pin cannot go in. Given it is a holiday weekend, I don't expect a reply until next week. No big deal unless they don't solve it. I just drove it around the property and used it to haul my chainsaw, weed wacker and other cleanup tools. It is handy to have everything with me rather than running back to the shop or trying to carry it all. I have about 4500' of perimeter to clear for fencing.

It has 3 'gears' H, M, L. The H is for speed and L is for power/torque. (Nothing unusual there). They pitch M as the most efficient for longer battery life. It goes plenty fast around my property in M. This is simply a work/casual ride with the Mrs around our place vehicle for us. I don't think trail riders would be happy.

Not sure on the batteries. I'll check the manual tomorrow.