SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!!

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!!
Lots of diesel options keep throwing themselves in my face.

Now a Cushman Bad Boy 1600xd (which looks exactly like a Kioti mechron) just surfaced with 900 hrs, diesel, hydraulic dump bed with extra remote valves for a 3 point hitch etc, full blinker setup, and mirrors making it totally street legal here, a front hitch receiver which I know I want. Just lacking a windshield for $8500 asking price.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #12  
Do any of them have a 4 wheel independent suspension? That makes for a very smooth ride.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #13  
If what your interested in doesn't have a roof or windshield.
They make quite a few aftermarket roofs/ hard plastic and soft tops they also make lots of aftermarket windshields both glass and polycarbonate. From experience if it's polycarbonate I'd recommend it being hardcoated.

Last edited:
   / SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #14  
"Work" can mean a lot of things. Do you need large bed size/capacity/dump capable? 4wd? high ground clearance? Towing capacity? Is it going to sit for several months per year? CVT, geared, or hydrostatic trans? Street legal? Need to go faster than 25mph?
I would think there would be quite as few (likely more important) considerations than just gas vs diesel.
There are other options as well such as a Japanese micro truck or a turf vehicle such as a Progator or Workman.

I would suggest if gas making certain it's fuel injected.

"Work" can mean a lot of things. Do you need large bed size/capacity/dump capable? 4wd? high ground clearance? Towing capacity? Is it going to sit for several months per year? CVT, geared, or hydrostatic trans? Street legal? Need to go faster than 25mph?
I would think there would be quite as few (likely more important) considerations than just gas vs diesel.
There are other options as well such as a Japanese micro truck or a turf vehicle such as a Progator or Workman.

I would suggest if gas making certain it's fuel injected.
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, I will use it just about every day, CVT I guess, Yes, I wish.

I can get all of those things in a diesel or gas.

The more than 25 MPH thing is funny. While yes I would of course I'd like it to go faster than 25, my main gas consideration, Kawasaki Mule, doesn't go faster than 25 so I figure why not get a diesel that goes 25?

I am having a little cold feet on the slowness of the diesel UTVs.

Been talking to a guy and he said yeah its slow, but it will tow a house. It dawned on me if I wanted to move a house I would use my tractor. The main reason I am getting a UTV is to get to and around my property quickly. I have a tractor for the heavy lifting.

I am going to look at a couple diesels this afternoon and I will make my decision then.

But honestly the only non- 25 MPHer that I am seeing are mostly Polaris. like the Mules but those are slow too. Most of the Mule pros are out of my price range.

Sorry I am just thinking about loud, which is helpful on TBN sometimes because you will get a nugget of knowledge that helps the process.

I tend to jump into these decisions too quick, I am trying to be more patient and measured in my decision making.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #17  
to me it depends on what you want to do with it and the type of terrain... if its solid ground, no to very little swamp or mud and lots of ''putting around'' or farm work then diesel, if its performance and mudding you are after then gas... Deisel are a lot quieter the gas in average.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #18  
My dad has a diesel Kawasaki Mule and wishes he had bought another gas model. Diesel is too loud for him.

I have had a Yamaha Wolverine X2 since 2020 and like it a lot. It could use a little more bed space, but it is a good compromise UTV between work and play. I keep a chainsaw and other tools in the bed usually and use it to get around our property, maintain our trails, haul small loads of firewood back to the house, pull small trees, plow snow and as recreation tooling around our back roads.

I added a winch, windshield, plow, rear bumper and that's about it. Low range it will go anywhere it will fit I have to nerve to aim it. It will do an honest 52mph before the governor kicks in. The only thing I don't like is that the rear diff is always locked, so it will tear up a yard if you're not careful.

First two pics are from when it was brand new, so the windshield isn't on it yet.

Last two pics are what it looks like now, and to give you an idea of how much the bed holds/doesn't hold.

Attachments

• wolverine x2 2.jpg
    wolverine x2 2.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 70
  • wolverine x2.jpg
    wolverine x2.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20221218_163932.jpg
    20221218_163932.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • 20221218_163959.jpg
    20221218_163959.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
   / SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #19  
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, I will use it just about every day, CVT I guess, Yes, I wish.

I can get all of those things in a diesel or gas.

The more than 25 MPH thing is funny. While yes I would of course I'd like it to go faster than 25, my main gas consideration, Kawasaki Mule, doesn't go faster than 25 so I figure why not get a diesel that goes 25?

I agree with your logic. I have owned one that went 28mph (Gas) and it was primarily a work but sometimes a play vehicle. I really didn't want a faster one since it was primarily work and do I really need my kids/grandkids going faster then that on the road or, even worse, in a field. I really think Gas/Diesel shouldn't be your deciding factor since you said you will be using it often. If you think it would sit with gas in the tank for long periods I would go diesel for fuel quality reasons.

I would look at the condition/features etc. and decide off of that. The difference between gas/diesel in price would most likely be negligible since diesel usually has a little better fuel economy, especially in those small engines. Our Kawasaki gas engine on our ZTR just drinks the gas.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #20  
I am having a little cold feet on the slowness of the diesel UTVs.

Been talking to a guy and he said yeah its slow, but it will tow a house. It dawned on me if I wanted to move a house I would use my tractor. The main reason I am getting a UTV is to get to and around my property quickly. I have a tractor for the heavy lifting.

I am going to look at a couple diesels this afternoon and I will make my decision then.

But honestly the only non- 25 MPHer that I am seeing are mostly Polaris. like the Mules but those are slow too. Most of the Mule pros are out of my price range.

Sorry I am just thinking about loud, which is helpful on TBN sometimes because you will get a nugget of knowledge that helps the process.

I tend to jump into these decisions too quick, I am trying to be more patient and measured in my decision making.

We have a Gravely Atlas (Polaris Gas engine). Goes about 35mph. They are a wide bodied UTV and can seat 3 adults.

1671283996873.png

Last edited: