Plowing Mishap

/ Plowing Mishap #31  
I live in the snow belt and have learned that a 10,000lb truck and plow is better than a 3,500lb tractor and plow. Neither are as good as a 10,000 lb cab tractor with snow blower.

Pushing snow is hard work and weight is your friend.

/ Plowing Mishap #32  
I live in the snow belt and have learned that a 10,000lb truck and plow is better than a 3,500lb tractor and plow. Neither are as good as a 10,000 lb cab tractor with snow blower.

Pushing snow is hard work and weight is your friend.
Weight matters a ton..because it typicaly means more traction and inertia.

/ Plowing Mishap #33  
I agree weight and I will say that if you can get chains too you can be about unstoppable. This thing will move snow faster than the 100Hp tractor we have here with a 96" blower.
Jack.png

On a side note the noise this thing makes with the Detroit seems to make it so people stay away while I am plowing LOL

/ Plowing Mishap #34  
I agree weight and I will say that if you can get chains too you can be about unstoppable. This thing will move snow faster than the 100Hp tractor we have here with a 96" blower.
View attachment 791749

On a side note the noise this thing makes with the Detroit seems to make it so people stay away while I am plowing LOL
A little screaming jimmy does seem to gather attention.

/ Plowing Mishap #35  
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but an angled plow pushing hard (or hitting something) will put a lot of stress sideways on your loader arms. They are beefy for lifting straight up, but not nearly as strong for sideways forces. (racked arms could be a lot more expensive than just a quick attach plate)

/ Plowing Mishap #36  
Big advantage of the John Deere quick attach system. The bottom pins can not come out once the lynch pins are inserted. Plus even the weakest person can insert and flip the bail without leaning over once the loader boom is lifted.

/ Plowing Mishap #37  
I have nothing but 3 chains holding it onto the skidder blade. I have some horns that I welded to the blade to help move logs and the blade has a few box tubes they go into. One chain on the top and she is good to go. Something like that can also be done on a bucket. Have made a plow the clamps into a BX bucket and you can angle by tipping forward and pushing on something. Did the design and no one seemed to understand how it worked .. I really am not good at marketing LOL.
Here is a link so you can see what I am talking about:

Moral of the story, you don't need much to hold a plow on just don't let it come off LOL

/ Plowing Mishap #38  
Interesting reading, but several things come to note:

a. many blades are attached too far away from the lifting arms (leverage)
b. most of the blades shown here are too lightly constructed (maybe to accommodate a tiny tractor)
c. no lateral support if the blade grabs something with a bit of resistance - use a lateral strut or even better a hydraulic cylinder to angle the blade as required.
d. little to support for controlling the pitch
e. if you would not use it to push dirt, its not strong enough

Never bent a blade or any part of it when built like that with 75HP tractor.

Skid steer QA dont come off unless they arent locked correctly, or they are damaged.

Gordon Goulds setup looks good.

/ Plowing Mishap #39  
First time poster…
I’ve been trying to get ahold of a plow for my driveway as I’ve been using the bucket and it takes forever. I finally got one last weekend and got all the hydraulics and everything set up for this storm that the northeast was hit with the last couple of days. Anyways I took my first pass down the driveway and it worked awesome! Second pass I was pushing the snow bank at the bottom of my first hill back and the tractor disconnected from the skid steer plate and blew a hydraulic line. I guess maybe too much power mixed with the heavy wet snow? The skid steer plate is all bent up so I can’t connect the tractor back onto it. It hooked back up to the bucket just fine so I don’t think it messed anything up on the tractor.

Anyone have any similar stories? Also, I was going to try and straighten the skid steer plate and maybe weld some channel on it to beef it up and give it a little support? I was trying to get an inexpensive plow setup but it totally backfired. I guess you get what you pay for.

Picture pre storm before I bent it and my ridiculous truck/trailer setup I picked up the plow with.

View attachment 788605
View attachment 788604
My plow is a 7' Western plow, and I fab'd a quick hitch on the front of the tractor, so as not to have the plow sticking so far out in front. Has worked flawlessly since 1998.

Attachments

• 100_1052.JPG
    100_1052.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 104
   / Plowing Mishap
IMG_2620.jpeg
IMG_2619.jpeg

Here’s an update to what I did to beef up the quick attach plate. I’ve plowed 5 or 6 times so far this year and it has worked great as far as the connection goes! I’ve had some issues with the hydraulics, I’ve had trouble with one piston working, I will be able to tilt it all the way to the left but then it won’t come back. Seems like maybe it was frozen because it would free up after a while but then I had the same issue when it was above freezing. Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, the quick attach mount floats up and down but not side to which works fine but on a turny driveway it takes a few more passes. Still better than the bucket but has anyone figured out a way to get it to float side to side? I saw Fischer has a skid steer quick attach plate which does just that but I’m guessing it’s pricey.