Overhead Door Openers

/ Overhead Door Openers #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
Over the years, I've installed 5 of these openers on the sectional overhead doors of my three buildings. All are the ceiling mount, chain driven models. All have served me well for over 30 years until last week when one failed on one of my 10' x 10' barn doors. After taking it apart, I found the gearbox had just plain worn out. All 5 openers are the same 30+ year old Craftsman model and all are showing similar wear. Since parts are no longer available, I decided to bite the bullet and replace them all while I'm still able to do the work myself. I chose wall mount units instead of the overhead type. The cost was about 30% more but the advantages of easier installation and less maintenance make the extra $$ worth it. I can also benefit from the extra overhead space.

These wall mount or jackshaft type openers have been around for quite a few years now and except for the added cost, seem to be well reviewed. All the big names in the business, Chaimberlain, Genie, Liftmaster, etc. have similar models. I chose Genie:

Amazon.com

I installed the first unit yesterday. It took around 2 hours including the removal of the old opener. The Jackshaft model is definitely quieter, a bit slower but perfectly acceptable for my needs. My concern is, the stresses on the door are different with this jackshaft system. Basically, the overhead model pulled the door up by the top section whereas the wall mount model lifts the door from the bottom. The reviews on these openers don't go back very far and I wonder how well they will hold up over time.

Does anyone here have any experience with these wall mount jackshaft openers?

/ Overhead Door Openers #2  
Over the years, I've installed 5 of these openers on the sectional overhead doors of my three buildings. All are the ceiling mount, chain driven models. All have served me well for over 30 years until last week when one failed on one of my 10' x 10' barn doors. After taking it apart, I found the gearbox had just plain worn out. All 5 openers are the same 30+ year old Craftsman model and all are showing similar wear. Since parts are no longer available, I decided to bite the bullet and replace them all while I'm still able to do the work myself. I chose wall mount units instead of the overhead type. The cost was about 30% more but the advantages of easier installation and less maintenance make the extra $$ worth it. I can also benefit from the extra overhead space.

These wall mount or jackshaft type openers have been around for quite a few years now and except for the added cost, seem to be well reviewed. All the big names in the business, Chaimberlain, Genie, Liftmaster, etc. have similar models. I chose Genie:

Amazon.com

I installed the first unit yesterday. It took around 2 hours including the removal of the old opener. The Jackshaft model is definitely quieter, a bit slower but perfectly acceptable for my needs. My concern is, the stresses on the door are different with this jackshaft system. Basically, the overhead model pulled the door up by the top section whereas the wall mount model lifts the door from the bottom. The reviews on these openers don't go back very far and I wonder how well they will hold up over time.

Does anyone here have any experience with these wall mount jackshaft openers?
Congratulations!

The jackshaft driven designhave been used commercially for decades, so I think that there is nothing in particular wrong with concept. Digital microcontrollers have just lowered the cost enormously. That is not to say that any given jackshaft model is great. My personal concern would just be that the drive motor assembly is fastened to support (plywood or metal) that spreads the load (torque) out over a number of studs.

All the best,

Peter

/ Overhead Door Openers #3  
I have a liftmaster version on my 18w x 12h door.

A neighbor has two liftmasters on 14x14 doors and another neighbor has 3 genies on 14x14 doors. All insulated doors.

They are fine openers. And I am actually surprised it was 30% more. A standard opener is indeed cheaper on a standard 7' or even 8' door opening. But on the taller doors, with the track/chain extensions adding cost.....then mounting the opener suspended from the ceiling somewhere.....usually over 10' the jackshaft openers become similar or even cheaper in cost.

But you are overthinking the stresses on the door. As long as the springs are set right.....winding the jackshaft cable and pulling from the bottom of the door is no different than simply opening the door by hand with the opener decoupled like when the power is out.

/ Overhead Door Openers #4  
My shop has a 10x12 overhead door, it originally had a 1/2 hp lift-master chain drive opener, the shaft on the opener broke twice, after the second time I replaced it with a 3/4 horse belt drive Chamberlain opener and never had anymore trouble.

/ Overhead Door Openers #5  
Are you sure there are no rebuild kits for your Craftsman door openers? I have three of them in my garage about 30 years old; when one failed a couple years ago (stripped gears on a nylon gear wheel) I was able to buy complete rebuild kits and rebuilt all 3 so should be good to go for the rest of my life!

/ Overhead Door Openers
Are you sure there are no rebuild kits for your Craftsman door openers? I have three of them in my garage about 30 years old; when one failed a couple years ago (stripped gears on a nylon gear wheel) I was able to buy complete rebuild kits and rebuilt all 3 so should be good to go for the rest of my life!

I actually replaced that nylon gear in the failed unit about 10 years ago. Yes, that part is still available but this time, the gearbox basically fell apart. Ball bearings & gear teeth scattered all over inside the housing. The gearbox is a sealed unit and, from what I found, is not available anymore. I did find the part online but it was listed as discontinued. The price was about half the cost of a new opener.

At 77, taking down and replacing parts in these overhead openers is getting harder to do. Since the other 4 units are showing similar wear, I decided to throw some $$ at the problem and replace them all. The replacement jackshaft openers are much easier to install & maintain and with any luck, will outlast me. I can also use the space freed up by these overhead openers and the new jackshaft models are compatible with the built in remotes in our vehicles. The WiFi feature is also handy if we forget to close a door.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

/ Overhead Door Openers #7  
I think it was a smart move to just replace all five at once, given their age. When I finally added a third stall I had three new openers installed. The most difficult part was deciphering the process to change the codes on the openers, get the remotes to work, and then get the mirror buttons on my two cars to work and the outside key pad to work. The instructions left a lot to be desired and at one point I would hit one button and one door would go up and the other go down. A lot of up and down the ladder that day.

Doug in SW IA

/ Overhead Door Openers #8  
I think it was a smart move to just replace all five at once, given their age. When I finally added a third stall I had three new openers installed. The most difficult part was deciphering the process to change the codes on the openers, get the remotes to work, and then get the mirror buttons on my two cars to work and the outside key pad to work. The instructions left a lot to be desired and at one point I would hit one button and one door would go up and the other go down. A lot of up and down the ladder that day.

Doug in SW IA
We are in the tech overload age. Every little thing comes with a 10 page manual. Cars come with 300 page booklets and the index still doesn't list the simplest thing like a fuel filter... I believe tech will become more self-sufficient in the future and program itself.

/ Overhead Door Openers #9  
Don’t bet on it….

/ Overhead Door Openers #10  
Reading this thread with interest, it got me to thinking about installing a door opener on my shop I have not had the door on there but a few months and am already thinking about putting an opener on it. But it is a 12x12 rollup door and the abundance of options are confusing. Never had a powered rollup door before.