MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #141  
Doug62, have you had a chance to contact the dealer to see where you stand on this? I think everybody that read this post is keeping an eye on it.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #142  
Doug62, have you had a chance to contact the dealer to see where you stand on this? I think everybody that read this post is keeping an eye on it.
Even Massey owners that don't have this specific model :)

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #143  
For those that seem to believe that Kubota never breaks, well, Kubota loader mounts break too.

Anything can break, that's why I don't loan my tools. I don't think anyone has said XXXX brand wouldn't, just that the quality is better, which is a point anyone can argue till their blue in the face and it wouldn't make a difference to either party in the argument. Do the best you can, with what you got, where you're at.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #145  
If warranty doesn’t cover it that would be the last MF I would ever buy. I suspect there were some serious mistakes made when it was built.

I would one up that response and use "designed" instead.
I never really looked at the modern loader frames. I didn't know they made some with no nose bar. The nose bar on my Farm Hand loader would stop that from ever happening. Mine looks like this one, just not as pretty.

Same with the older Koyker's, Fords and they also run back to the rear axle.

These new single vertical support per side are good looking but not near as strong as the old designs that run to the front engine / axle main mount and rear axle.

Those main verticals also look way to thin and under braced wonder if that is just mild steel?

Something tells me there will be More of these models failing...

Hope no one gets hurt.

Massey doesn't make 'em like they used to (I mean back when they were still headquartered in England). Anyway, it's clear that the welds had inclusions that rusted after the paint failed at the top of the bracket, the region most exposed to sun, water and abrasion from falling dirt and rock. It's also likely the steel is poor quality. Good quality, high carbon steel doesn't rust fast or deep even when unpainted and exposed to weather. Nowadays most of the steel used in the manufacture of consumer level products is smelted from the recycled junk we ship to China. It's got rust baked-in at the foundry. Buy an orange one next time.
May be some design problems but, the steel was sub standard to rip apart like it did. Looks as though the welds were good, they never failed, One side has been breaking for a while you can see this by the rust in the old crack and the shine on the new rip apart. Maybe substandard steel in my metal working years we often seen in foreign made steel voids inside steel plates ( you could not see those until you cut into them ) what a pain to work with. Is that voids around the subframe sticker?
At any rate the design should be rated far above the lifting capacity of the Hydralics.
I agree but from the limited pictures, I think it's a very poor design fault. The entire load appears to be transferred to that 4"x4" sq tube that's at a extreme mechanical disadvantage from what's essentially a difficult highly leveraged rotational load.
Clearly under sized for these loads to be transferred to such a small cross section.
I'd look around for a group or forum of model specific "talk" to investigate others experiences with this tractor/loader .

That design reminds me of the "VM" FELs except some of those did at least have some extra supports.

I feel bad for the OP , Here is Hoping Massey gets him a new updated redesigned and stronger FEL main frame and supports.

Last edited:
   / MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #146  
Shoot, who from this thread hasn't at least cast one extra glance at their loaders no matter the brand.
Until now I never thought to look at that part of the supports for tell-tail signs of cracking at the welds. I probably would not have looked at this thread if it didn't have "MF" in the title. Glad I did, just one more thing to add to my inspection list during maintenance.

Like someone else said. To me it looks like there was a bad weld at the top where the rust started and it slowly got worse until it failed. Rust seems to progress in severity along the break. I don't see how anyone could put enough stress on an FEL in the direction needed to break the weld at the top of the support. In my opinion you'd really have to ram something hard enough to jar your teeth outa your head while the bucket was swinging into the direction of the side of original break.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #147  
I'm still sticking with my Chinese steel theory. It's inferior metal. I feel bad for the OP. Massey has always been a proud name for tractors. It's too bad we have to cut corners to make a profit.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #148  
I'm still sticking with my Chinese steel theory. It's inferior metal. I feel bad for the OP. Massey has always been a proud name for tractors. It's too bad we have to cut corners to make a profit.
And unfortunately everything is like that now. Go look at an old Caterpillar excavator. Everything was thick heavy steel. The engine bay body panels on my new 330 are made from sheet metal I think they stole from an office filing cabinet.
Every time the machine shakes it sounds like someone is dumping a scrap bin beside you.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #149  
will warranty cover repair/replacement ?

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #150  
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong? But I just looked at the pics of the way the Massey loader stands are built and had to go compare to my way smaller B2620.
Look at the design. Not just a thinwall square tube. It is full of gussets and bracing. And the round tube is actually tied right back to the frame at the rear axle.

You would think the bigger tractor would have more beef to the loader stands than that.

Attachments

• 20230531_191054.jpg
    20230531_191054.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230531_191108.jpg
    20230531_191108.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 84