MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #61  
Is "ALO" a substitute for ÅLÖ? ÅLÖ is a Swedish company with a good reputation, and the Swedes do know meallurgy. The issue goes back to MF regardless, as they specified the price they were willing to ay.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #62  
Is "ALO" a substitute for ÅLÖ? ÅLÖ is a Swedish company with a good reputation, and the Swedes do know meallurgy. The issue goes back to MF regardless, as they specified the price they were willing to ay.

That'd be the same company, yes, and they're known around the world for their quality. I think that's one of the things that's made this thread so popular in such short order; people are familiar with the brand, and they expect quality from it. Failures like this are so uncommon that it's quite concerning when it happens.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #63  
It would be interesting to see if the current frames are made differently. The sticker on that one says REV2. Are they perhaps up to REV3 or REV4?

Also, wonder if the welds would be the same on the broken and new frames. As in, were some missed on the broken frame?

If I get a chance I'll swing out to my dealer and look at the loaders there, I'd be curious if there have been revisions past 2.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #64  
Interesting. Do you happen to have a diagram how this works? I always thought when the spool is centered it closes all other ports off so no way for the relief to work.
and if you think about it, having a relief could be dangerous, we have all seen the video's of the hydraulic spikes when leverage gets applied to the cylinders, if you kept the relief in the entire time, the loader will drop if it encounters a bounce while moving.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #65  
I had a similar failure on a trailer, looked like your pics. Welder laid ahigh bead on, not in, the joint. Then ground off the bead improve its appearance. Only left a paper thin weld, which cracked from flex and vibration.

Old saying: grinder and paint will make me the welder I ain't.

Bottom line, IMHO at least, poor worksmanship compounded by poor QC.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #67  
Looking at it, I'd say it was abused somehow and started to crack away but wasn't noticed prior to failure. Stuff like that don't just happen, it has to be brought on by some sort of abuse.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #68  
Massey doesn't make 'em like they used to (I mean back when they were still headquartered in England). Anyway, it's clear that the welds had inclusions that rusted after the paint failed at the top of the bracket, the region most exposed to sun, water and abrasion from falling dirt and rock. It's also likely the steel is poor quality. Good quality, high carbon steel doesn't rust fast or deep even when unpainted and exposed to weather. Nowadays most of the steel used in the manufacture of consumer level products is smelted from the recycled junk we ship to China. It's got rust baked-in at the foundry. Buy an orange one next time.

/ MF 1835M loader support collapsed on tractor #70  
Was moving dirt today when all of the sudden my loader started going down all by itself. This was crazy looking. You can see in the photos that the loader sub frame gave way on both sides. It appears to be either bad welds or cheap metal. Either way, it’s nuts that it would do this with only 140 hours on it.
IS MF standing behind the machine?
There is an implied warranty of suitability for intended use at law and the location of this obvious fault of manufacture would likely sway a judge to rule that your failure to notify during the warranty period is not material.

I sued GM years ago for a similar fault on a Chevy Vega and won - albeit in County Small Claims court. I suspect this is not going to fit the parameters of your Small Claims Court. Document the hell out of it, take it to a dealer and get them to write out a repairs estimate, then write a demand letter to MF and the dealer. If the repairs estimate will fit in your SCC, and you feel comfortable proceeding, make sure you have a court reporter transcribing your case before the judge.

Otherwise, you need to find an attorney who will charge you less than the repair work to bring the case!