Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,791  
I really like my Maschio. I am grading areas on my place so that I can make more use of it. One thing about it is that you can cut areas so fast with it. I'm an advertisement for Maschio.
You make a good point. I have graded areas so I can mow them better. I've removed surface rock and limbs too.
This year I started mowing for some neighbors. They could all use a little prep for next year when our mowing season is over.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,792  
I really like my Maschio. I am grading areas on my place so that I can make more use of it. One thing about it is that you can cut areas so fast with it. I'm an advertisement for Maschio.
How's you're Maschio holding up? How long have you had it? What kind of blades? (1,000 questions!):ROFLMAO:

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,793  
Haven't bought one yet, but looking in the Land Pride FM2560 manual, it says don't sharpen your blades or replace one if it's broke, buy a whole new set. This is supposedly to keep from unbalancing the rotor. Also sounds like they want to sell some blades. I saw one guy who sharpened each blade and then weighed it.
What say ye? Do y'all sharpen your blades and replace broken ones?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,794  
Time to sharpen all the hammers on my mower - Going to figure out an easy way to do this with lying on the ground. Initially thinking of lifting it with the bucket and a chain.
Hate to repeat a post i just made, but the Land Pride FM2560 (of which i ain't bought one yet) manual says, don't sharpen the blades. Also, don't replace a single blade if you break it, for fear of unbalancing the rotor, buy a whole new set. Sounds like they want to sell some blades!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,796  
Hello I need help with a 917 drum has muilti holes how many blades per row do I need and where to place them? Right now it has 14 scoop knives per row its unbalanced. Its 5 ft not sure if its fine or corse cut Bought it used any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Mike Henry

It sounds like it is a fine/finish cut from the number of knives per row. I would remove all the blades then run it to be sure the rotor is in balance and not bent. Then if that checks out add one knife per row back until you have it repopulated.

A fine/finish cut should have a total of 81 stations/places for knives, a standard cut 27.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,797  
I have big 3 inch wide hammers. I replaced the whole set after the first year. Now I'm just sharpening them. 2 or 3 times so far. The result is no noticeable vibration. Just improved cutting.

Attachments

• IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 83
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,798  
Just bought a Woodmaxx flail mower for my pasture! Can't wait for it to get here and get to mowing! (Currently chopping down little black locust trees and thistles with a nearly 30 year old Kubota G1900S ha ha)

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,799  
Got my auction find flail mower home today. It looks to be in pretty good shape overall, just a bit neglected. It needs a belt and the tractor side of the pto. Anyone know a good source for half, or is it best to replace the entire pto?

Can anyone confirm the model from this serial number tag?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2023-05-21-13-42-00-951.jpg
    2023-05-21-13-42-00-951.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,800  
Hello I need help with a 917 drum has muilti holes how many blades per row do I need and where to place them? Right now it has 14 scoop knives per row its unbalanced. Its 5 ft not sure if its fine or corse cut Bought it used any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Mike Henry

Mr. Henry you have a coarse cut flail mower and it is unbalanced condition you may have a bad bearing,
you need to talk to a ford dealer about your flail mower.