Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #101  
Not being able to reach the pedals would be a problem unless you were to somehow extend the pedal, but I don't think you'd want to do that if you can find something else that works.

If the pedals had to be extended, I suspect it might be possible to cut the pedal off and weld on an extension. Or maybe weld on a piece of tubing onto the pedal surface itself.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
If the pedals had to be extended, I suspect it might be possible to cut the pedal off and weld on an extension. Or maybe weld on a piece of tubing onto the pedal surface itself.

Or just duct tape a block of wood to it ;)

Yeah, not being able to reach the pedal is a huge issue. Unfortunately since I can't see one in person I can't tell if the next model up that we would buy is better/worse/same in this regard. The pedal assembly is slightly different in photos, so it's possible it's better, but can't assume that

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #103  
The mower I own is one of Bad Boys narrower frames. That is why is will scalp on a rough yard with a wide deck. The wider the distance between the front wheels the less likelihood of a mower scalping.

But I agree with you about the mowing high and often. People walk by our house all the time down our quiet road. I have many comments from people about how our yard is the best looking in the neighborhood. When asked I tell them that by June 1st I am mowing as high as the deck will go. Do the same and your yard will look like ours. Then they go home and cut theirs 1" tall.

RSKY
Same here. Drives me nuts to drive by nice homes with lawns that are mowed to about 1" and brown, full of weeds and grass clippings. Not sure why people feel the need to mow so low.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #104  
I am repeating a story here that I have posted several times before. Just not on this thread.

When I bought my Bad Boy mower I first ordered one with a Kohler engine and the 60" deck which was the widest possible on that frame. As I was walking to my truck the dealer's daughter stopped me. She had graduated High School with my youngest, was on the yearbook staff with her, and spent a night or two at our house with the rest of the yearbook staff. She was the dealership's secretary.

Anyway.

She told me to not get the 60" deck but to get the 54". Said that everybody who got the 60" on that frame complained about the mower scalping their yard at every uneven spot. She explained that the deck stuck out too far on the left side. And, she said, take the money you save by getting the narrower deck and get the Kawasaki engine instead of the Kohler. It will burn less gas and, she looked over both shoulders to make sure nobody was listening, we don't know how to work on them because we never have to work on them.

I changed the order to what she said.

Couple years later a friend me that he had traded his Bad Boy mower off because he was continuously scalping his yard. I asked and sure enough he had the same frame but the 60" deck. I have owned mine now for about twelve years?? or so. At one time I was mowing five or six yards a week for a total of about eight acres. Now I'm down to just my one acre. Have been completely pleased with the mower.

Points of this story, first, don't get the widest deck available on a particular frame, you will end up scalping your yard if it is very rough. Second, get the Kawasaki engine. Third, when you are in your late fifties and a drop dead gorgeous blonde twenty something gives you advice you take it.

RSKY
Sounds like a Bad Boy problem, tire pressure issue, or setting the deck too low.

I have a 60" Toro Titan HD 2000 with a Kohler engine. Been great for the last 5 years and I mow 4 acres.

Not buying the "Kawasaki is the best engine". I bought my mower at a local independed dealer and he carries what works and has less issues. Which is why I bought Echo chainsaws from him.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #105  
Good story! I disagree on the scalping part though. A 54" will scalp as easily as a 61" and if you are scalping your lawn you are mowing way too low. Mow high, mow often. Jut my opinion though
If she would have talked to me about the scalping issue I probably would have cancelled my order and looked at a proven brand. :)

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #106  
My 78 year old MIL operates both our commercial Zs. One is an, out front deck, grasshopper 725Diesel and the other is a, mid-mount deck, bush hog with a big Kawasaki gas.

You can mow the 11 miles an hour with the Kawasaki (and I do). You can know about 7mph with the grasshopper. That isn't a limitation of the diesel engine but of the grasshopper ground speed.

MIL mows her 2 acres herself, most of the time, with one or the other.

@5030 is not wrong about the fuel efficiency of diesel over gas. However, the payback period to recover the $4,000 difference will buy you a LOT of gas.
If I tried to mow faster than 5 mph I would be bounced out of my seat. My yard is too uneven.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #107  
Intersting twist thrown into the decision yesterday. Turns out not many mowers are made for a 5' tall woman...

The Kubota 400 series has the parking brake at the front of the deck, which even with the seat all the way forward she struggled to press. And of course the armrests interfere with the lap bars if the seat is all the way forward (can't get into neutral/reverse).

Kubota 200 series has a knob/lever for parking brake so that's not an issue. So this is still in the running, though I'm a big concerned about the lower profile tires (22x10-14).

The Cub Cadet ZTS2 has a similar issue - with the seat all the way forward, she struggles to use the 'gas' pedal. So as much as I like the front-wheel steering and the steering wheel vs lap bars, I'm not sure these will work (plus I'd have to buy the ZTXS model sight-unseen).

I do like that the cub cadet with lap bars applies the parking brake when you push the lap bars into neutral (out to the side). it's nice not having an 'extra' step to apply the parking brake, if you're going to be getting off and on to clear out rocks/debris. The 22x12-12 tires seem better for our rougher property.

If I'm going with a standard ZT with lap bars, starting to look at the Gravelly ZT HD-52 as an option. Sadly it doesn't come with ROPS -- I know the Pro Z does and has a lot more to offer, but I think it is outside our price range.
:unsure: Interesting. I assumed all ZT had to have ROPS.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #108  
I bought an Exmark ZTR about 10 years ago to replace the John Deere riding mower. I actually kept the JD around for a while thinking I would still need it to pull around my sweeper, trailer and thatcher/ Aerator attachments. I quickly found out my ZTR could handle those better than the John Deere could so I sold it. I have never wished to have a tractor again for mowing and light yard tasks, the ZTR is just so much more efficient and mows so much nicer than my lawn tractor could.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #109  
If I tried to mow faster than 5 mph I would be bounced out of my seat. My yard is too uneven.
Mine is too. I doubt I could hang on at 5 mph even.

No idea where all these guys are finding these "pool table flat" yards.

I've never seen one.