Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
From what I have seen, the commercial model zero turns have ROPS.
Most residential models do not.

This has been my observation as well. Though Kubota's "residential" models do have ROPS, but their specs pretty much match the commercial models (or pro-sumer models) of other brands

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #112  
Mine is too. I doubt I could hang on at 5 mph even.

No idea where all these guys are finding these "pool table flat" yards.

I've never seen one.
I spent a lot of time smoothing our yard with the tractor/tiller/box blade, lawn roller, Etc.
I mow much of my yard at full speed.
Full speed on our Snapper Pro is 10 MPH.
Full speed on our Hustler Super Z is 14 MPH. (both have 72" decks)

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #113  

I've never seen one.
I was watching a guy mow with a JD front mount mower at 9 mph while I tilled his garden. By the look on his face, he wasn't having any fun bouncing in the seat. When we were each finished, his lines were far from straight.

My lawn mower has 41" rear tires and the fastest I can go comfortably is 5.5 mph in a few spots. The majority of my 3 acres is mowed at 4 mph.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #114  
   / Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #116  
I can't really speak to the quality personally except to say at least Cub is putting Kohler and Kawasaki engines on them, and their price point looks competitive.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #117  
I would never buy a lawn tractor. Once you try a ZT you will agree. The ease of turning and mowing around obstacles wtih a ZT makes it amazing. I have a Gravely with a 60" deck. It does have ROPS. I've had it for over 10 years. I was looking at Bad Boy, but Tractor Supply would not finance more than $3k at the time. I wound up with the commercial version and have mowed way more pasture than I should have before I bought a tractor. The ZT cut my mowing time by more than half for the area around the house. I don't miss shifting gears and backing up to get lined up on something I missed.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #118  
Thanks for the info. What's the quality on them? Our local small engine guy doesn't have a very high opinion of the newer models.

Cub Cadet residential machines would be some to avoid in my opinion. Besides the engine, and I would suggest Kawasaki VS the Kohler in this price point you should consider what wheel motors it has. Cub Cadet and most of the low end residential models have the non serviceable ZT2200 hydro motors that are fairly weak. Look for a model with at least the ZT2800 units, those are serviceable and much stronger than the 2200's. Also the deck is a huge consideration and cub cadet doesn't have the mest deck design for speed and cut quality. Exmark, Ariens, Gravely, Toro, Scag, Ferris ect are all solid manufacturers to consider depending on local dealer support.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
Cub Cadet residential machines would be some to avoid in my opinion. Besides the engine, and I would suggest Kawasaki VS the Kohler in this price point you should consider what wheel motors it has. Cub Cadet and most of the low end residential models have the non serviceable ZT2200 hydro motors that are fairly weak. Look for a model with at least the ZT2800 units, those are serviceable and much stronger than the 2200's. Also the deck is a huge consideration and cub cadet doesn't have the mest deck design for speed and cut quality. Exmark, Ariens, Gravely, Toro, Scag, Ferris ect are all solid manufacturers to consider depending on local dealer support.

The models I'm looking at will have ZT3100 hydro motors. So no concern there.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #120  

I've never seen one.
After mowing a yard enough times, you find the spots you have to slow down and the spots you can go wide open on. I have been working on getting my yard smoothed out since we moved here in 2014. It still isn't completely smooth, I have a big pile of dirt that I've saved from new driveway that I put in. That will be used to smooth out some more areas.

You guys have tractors, get out there and fix ya yard so you can mow without liver damage. I also have an expensive seat on both mowers or probably wouldn't be able to mow as fast.

Last edited: