Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #31  
Op,

Nothing wrong with staying within a budget.

For your budgeted 6-8K, I would only look at riding mowers. Any zero turn in that price range is going to be more of a liability in how many hours you get out of it. My opinion is you are better off with a very nice riding mower, then getting a cheap zero turn.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #32  
1696101445048.png

Attachments

• IMG_5970.png
    IMG_5970.png
    915.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
   / Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #34  
OK, I'll poke at the question not asked.

Given the stated purpose of lawn, the maximum you should have to mow is about 1 acre. Assume 100 feet in each direction from the house. Roughly 200'x200' (assuming everything was in grass, which is unlikely) that would be just under 1 acre.

I'd measure out to that point and plant something else that looks nice, but doesn't need mowing. (Native grasses, ground cover, whatever. Now you have a more reasonable size to handle. If you really want/expect gf to be doing some/most of the 'lawn' cutting, narrow it down to 2-3 ZTR and 2-3 small lawn tractors and let her choose. Heck, maybe even one of the stand-on ones (no idea on price, we are lawn-free).

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #35  
For what it's worth, my dad bought a new 500 series JD lawn tractor. It's nothing more than a lawn mower. I've used it and there's no comparison between the steering wheel zero-turn and the JD lawn "tractor". The ZT is MUCH better at everything. Also with the steering wheel system, you really have 4-wheel steering and your steering inputs also drive both rear hydros so they're coordinated. Makes it almost impossible to tear up the grass.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
Op,

Nothing wrong with staying within a budget.

For your budgeted 6-8K, I would only look at riding mowers. Any zero turn in that price range is going to be more of a liability in how many hours you get out of it. My opinion is you are better off with a very nice riding mower, then getting a cheap zero turn.

I need to do my own searching on this, but stopped by the Kubota dealer today and the 200-series zero turns are in my price range (Z242 w/ 48" deck and kawasaki engine would be $6800). ZT-3100 hydros, 10 gauge welded deck, suspension seat, foldable rops. Seems like a good package overall.

While it's their "residential" grade, specs are similar to SCAG Patriot though the Scag has the FX series Kawasaki vs the FR series in the Kubota.

Wondering if you still feel the same way about the Kubota. Seems they don't really stock lawn tractors around here, just ZTs.

For what it's worth, my dad bought a new 500 series JD lawn tractor. It's nothing more than a lawn mower. I've used it and there's no comparison between the steering wheel zero-turn and the JD lawn "tractor". The ZT is MUCH better at everything. Also with the steering wheel system, you really have 4-wheel steering and your steering inputs also drive both rear hydros so they're coordinated. Makes it almost impossible to tear up the grass.

Thanks for the insight. Sadly the Cub Cadet dealer was closed by the time I got there (would have gotten motivated sooner had I realized everyone closed at noon today). It does seem like the Ultima ZTS2 or ZTXS4 are good candidates. The ZTX has 3100 hydros and 10 gauge steel deck vs 2800 hydro and 11 gauge on the ZTS.

Will have to go check them out!

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #38  
Maybe they'll be willing to make a deal along around December-January when hardly anyone wants to buy a mower.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #39  
ZT any day of the week.
I even mow my 3 acre field once a month with ZT. Much faster than the BX.

Maybe they'll be willing to make a deal along around December-January when hardly anyone wants to buy a mower.

The Kubota pricing is already below MSRP, and with zero percent financing. The $6800 was offered vs $7400 MSRP with 36 months at zero percent. I didn't push at all on pricing as I wasn't looking to buy today, so not sure if they're willing to deal more.