Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #61  
52" is the best all around for access and for replacement blades and the deck will stick out 5-6" on the left side. I use Oregon Gator Blades - get a few sets thrown in as part of the deal - at least 6 blades. They run $50-60 for a set of 3. They also do a great job on leaves in the fall.

The G5 Oregon Gator are good .200" thick and some hard coat, the G6 are better - .250" thick and great hard coat on the cutting edge if you have rocks or sand.
I got the G5 blades, they're great! Had them on all season, haven't had to sharpen them one time.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #62  
ZTR's aren't necessarily faster because of ground speed. It's the maneuverability that makes them faster. I'd recommend a good zero turn with good tires for the slopes.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
Based on my experience with Cub Cadet, I would not buy another nor recommend anything Cub Cadet. Pure junk, in my experience.

How recent, and what "level" of equipment (residential vs commercial)?

Not doubting you, there's just bad stories out there about every manufacturer. Oftentimes machines are "great -- mine lasted 15 years" and 10 years ago they shipped production overseas so the same product isn't as good as the one the person is raving about, etc.

I did think about a walk-behind, but I think that's a no-go with the significant other...

One thing about blades (and gator blades) -- looks like Cub Cadet has a proprietary spindle design on some (all?) of their machines so the blades use an 'S' mount. Doesn't look like Oregon supports that currently.

I need to confirm with the dealer/parts department, but it appears the "commercial" versions just use circular holes/mounts, so it's not a concern. But on the residential equipment you're stuck with Cub's replacement blades.

Looks like it won't be until Friday that we can go test-drive and make a decision. Set on a ZT vs a garden/lawn tractor, just need to figurte out which one.

Thanks all for the input and appreciate any other thoughts/experiences/insights.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #65  
Many of the residential have the * star configuration then the round hole 3/4 " diameter is typical for commercial applications as they have the heavier greaseable spindles. Then spindles, even tho they state greaseable , they are sealed bearings on the residential units - defeats the purpose.

On the Cub Cadet comment, yes they have had and do have some lemons, but also some very good machines too. I have had the 1811 Garden Tractor since 1989 and still runs fine, original spindles on the deck at 750 hours. When they sold to MTD and in the 2000-2014 they had up and down years and models - some good some bad. Much of what you see at box stores is MTD with JD or CC labels- good for 400-600 hours.

I would take that comment with a grain of salt, and just do your due diligence in buying a mower - doesn't matter the brand as long as you get "near commercial grade" they are all pretty good today.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #66  
Also, get a Kawasaki engine in whatever you buy.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #67  
How recent, and what "level" of equipment (residential vs commercial)?

Not doubting you, there's just bad stories out there about every manufacturer. Oftentimes machines are "great -- mine lasted 15 years" and 10 years ago they shipped production overseas so the same product isn't as good as the one the person is raving about, etc.

I did think about a walk-behind, but I think that's a no-go with the significant other...
The products I owned were "residential" grade but a former co-worker bought one of their "almost commercial" grade ZTRs and that too was junk. The frame on the 33" walk-behind I bought cracked, same thing happened to former co-workers ZTR. The 33" walk-behind was purchased at an independent dealer, not a big box store so luckily they worked with Cub and got about 90% of my money back. I then purchased a used Scag walk behind which was well worth it.

I now live on 5.5 acres and mow probably 2.5 of that. First year I mowed with a Kubota BX2200 and it took two of us about 4 hours (me on Kubota, her on her Cub lawn tractor). Not only did it take forever, I felt like I just rode a bull for hours when I was done. So I went out and bought a Ferris ISX2200. Night and day difference. Mow faster and MUCH more comfortable due to the suspension. 2.5 acres doesn't seem like much, but I would not want a homeowner grade ZTR, it would get destroyed in a couple years. If you can, increase your budget and get full commercial, or like others have said buy a lightly used commercial grade. I have a pretty steep hill that I wont use the Ferris on, so I still have my Scag walk behind. I think it's probably 20-25 years old. Great mower!

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #68  
I mow about 4 acres with my zero turn. I have a Toro HD2000 Titan with 24 hp motor that cuts 60" width. I've had the ZT now for 5 yrs and its held up great.
Whatever you do go sit in each ZT you are interested. Check the comfort of the seat and the suspension.
Get a commercial grade deck. The ROPS should fold down easy.
Plan on getting bar tires for the rear for traction (look like AG tires on a tractor).
I know you already have a tractor but you should be able to mow the other 5 acres with the ZT.
Buy once, cry once. Don't cheap out. I would plan on spending about $9K.

The products I owned were "residential" grade but a former co-worker bought one of their "almost commercial" grade ZTRs and that too was junk. The frame on the 33" walk-behind I bought cracked, same thing happened to former co-workers ZTR. The 33" walk-behind was purchased at an independent dealer, not a big box store so luckily they worked with Cub and got about 90% of my money back. I then purchased a used Scag walk behind which was well worth it.

I now live on 5.5 acres and mow probably 2.5 of that. First year I mowed with a Kubota BX2200 and it took two of us about 4 hours (me on Kubota, her on her Cub lawn tractor). Not only did it take forever, I felt like I just rode a bull for hours when I was done. So I went out and bought a Ferris ISX2200. Night and day difference. Mow faster and MUCH more comfortable due to the suspension. 2.5 acres doesn't seem like much, but I would not want a homeowner grade ZTR, it would get destroyed in a couple years. If you can, increase your budget and get full commercial, or like others have said buy a lightly used commercial grade. I have a pretty steep hill that I wont use the Ferris on, so I still have my Scag walk behind. I think it's probably 20-25 years old. Great mower!

I appreciate the additional info.

Totally hear you on "increase your budget and get full commercial". Unfortunately funds are limited/have plenty of other things I need to spend money on (fencing, barn, etc etc). I've already bumped my budget to get in the residential/commercial hybrid with 10 gauge deck, servicable hydros (ZT-2800 or ZT-3100), ROPS, etc. There's always something better for just a little bit more :)

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #70  

Awesome post. Commercial grade is the way to go with a good suspension.
I remember when I moved out to the country 6 yrs ago and bought a 48" ZT. Took me 3 mows to trade it back in for a 60".