Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #21  
Better seats make a difference. Bar tread tires can make a difference on hillsides.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #22  
I'm from the same scenero as you are now. I had a 52" Husqvarna 27hp riding mower with a mulching kit, that served me fairly well before blowing the pinion gear, with no preplacement parts available. The Husq. did seem to handle our 25* slopes but with a lot of apprehension. And it would actually climb those slopes straight up. No fear of a flip-over.

We replaced it this year with a 48" Kubota 26hp ZTR with the muching kit. Mowing time did cut about in half. The 'Bota will not climb the 25* dam banks, and I am not at all comfortable in mowing with it sideways on those slopes. The 'Bota also handles deep grass/weeds much better than the Husq. Both machines had trailer hitches, so pulling a cart etc. was the same.

Turning with leaving a mark on the lawn is a problem with the ZTR. I'm sure it's a matter of learning to drive it better and slower. That thing simply wants to 'GO'. But turing around is a 1-horse operation whereas wtih the Husq. it was a 3 or 4 type turn. And we have many trees and flower beds. I don't drive either type with one hand, although that's easy enough. It took about 5 minutes on the ZTR to adapt to the paddle-type steering; no big deal at all.

My recommendation to you is to follow your best judgement. You won't be disappointed either way. I'm satisfied with the give & takes on the ZTR vs tractor type mowers.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #23  
I used to mow with a JD 425 all wheel steer. Now I am using a Simplicity Contender XT. The zero turn is definitely faster and it cuts better. I used to bag when the grass was long and in the fall to pick up leaves. Now I mulch it all. The simplicity doesn't like hills but you can do it but the John Deere was better on the hills. The zero turn is hopeless in mud.

Chris

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #24  
Does any company make a ZT with steering wheel in larger frame like some of the older John Deeres? This would provide familiarity of steering wheel with convenience of ZT.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #25  
Not sure if this is what you mean, but this?

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #28  
As mentioned above, check out the "S" series of zero-turns from Cub Cadet. Instead of having casters on the front that just follow the terrain, you can actually steer the front wheels while applying inputs to the rear hydro-pumps that drive the back wheels. Makes it easy to handle slopes whereas lap-bar ZT's just want to trail off downhill. They used to make a Z-Force S but I think that's been replaced -- maybe with the Ultima series? It's worth a look.

For a couple acres I'd just get the 60" deck on a residential unit. Should be in your price range.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #29  
Lol.

Does anyone remember the part where the OP said his budget for his new lawn mower was $6-$8K?

Just lol, at some of these suggestions...

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #30  
At the rate things have been going, this year's $3,800 ZTR will be $6-8k.