Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #42  
I have a Husky Z254F, there's a slight grade behind the spruce trees behind the house and I was heading for a ditch. It wouldn't back up or turn,

it wasn't looking good. I don't know if I would have had time to jump off it before it went into the ditch and have it on top of me. Finally it turned

and I got myself out of the situation. First thing I did is go to Amazon and bought myself some Ag tires and wow what a difference.

I have a yard, not a lawn and they are not much worse then the turfs. Depends on how you turn. Because the yard is uneven, the turfs would

spin quite often.

I used to mow with my B7100DT and Woods 4 ft rear mower. It would take 2 hrs 20 min using 3 pints of fuel. Now with the Husky 54" zero turn

it takes me 1 hr 5 min and 9 pints of gas. Of course the Husky is fun and the Kubota was boring.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #43  
I have a Husky Z254F, there's a slight grade behind the spruce trees behind the house and I was heading for a ditch. It wouldn't back up or turn,

it wasn't looking good. I don't know if I would have had time to jump off it before it went into the ditch and have it on top of me. Finally it turned

and I got myself out of the situation. First thing I did is go to Amazon and bought myself some Ag tires and wow what a difference.
I did the same.
My zero turns were useless on hills.
I replaced the rear turf tires with Carlise AT101 bar tires.
Made a world of difference, I can now mow the hill behind the house no problem at all, that I struggled to mow or couldn't mow parts of it at all with the stock turf tires.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
I did the same.
My zero turns were useless on hills.
I replaced the rear turf tires with Carlise AT101 bar tires.
Made a world of difference, I can now mow the hill behind the house no problem at all, that I struggled to mow or couldn't mow parts of it at all with the stock turf tires.

Do you think they were useless on hills because of the stock turf tires, or because of the weight distribution of a ZT vs a garden tractor?

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #45  
Do you think they were useless on hills because of the stock turf tires, or because of the weight distribution of a ZT vs a garden tractor?
Changing to bar tires on my zero turn solved the problem I was having mowing our hill.
Does my Wheel Horse garden tractor with ag type tires work better on that same hill? In my opinion = No.
I think my zero turn with bar tires works better mowing on a hills than my garden tractor.

Went and had a look at the local Cub Cadet dealer today. I have to say I'm very intrigued by the synchro-steer models. Sadly they don't stock the ZTXS series (10 gauge deck, 3100 hydros, ROPS), only the ZTS (11 gauge deck, 2800 hydros, no ROPS) so I'd have to buy sight-unseen for the ZTXS. Drove the ZTS though and liked it.

Next up is the real test -- take the girlfriend unit to Kubota to drive the Z242 and then to CC to try the ZTXS2. Let her make the call.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #47  
Went and had a look at the local Cub Cadet dealer today. I have to say I'm very intrigued by the synchro-steer models. Sadly they don't stock the ZTXS series (10 gauge deck, 3100 hydros, ROPS), only the ZTS (11 gauge deck, 2800 hydros, no ROPS) so I'd have to buy sight-unseen for the ZTXS. Drove the ZTS though and liked it.

Next up is the real test -- take the girlfriend unit to Kubota to drive the Z242 and then to CC to try the ZTXS2. Let her make the call.

A 60” deck will get the job done much faster. More importantly, it extends out past your tires far enough to make it easy to trim up close and sweep the edge of the deck up under bushes, evergreens, etc.

A 60” deck will get the job done much faster. More importantly, it extends out past your tires far enough to make it easy to trim up close and sweep the edge of the deck up under bushes, evergreens, etc.

Maybe this is common with zero-turns, but Cub Cadet offsets their mower decks so the left side sticks out more than the right (I assume the discharge chute sticks out just as much as the deck?), helping with getting close to things as long as you're willing to go 'round them counter-clockwise.

Last edited:
   / Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #49  
It depends on the deck width, but in general all ZT the left side sticks out 4-6 inches and the right side (discharge side) sticks out maybe 2-3 inches. The smaller deck the less they stick out - 48" three blade deck is the minimum width I would consider and that may be 3-4" left and 1-2" discharge side. Get a 52-60" if possible and measure around your yard to make sure a 60" will work for your tight spots.

It depends on the deck width, but in general all ZT the left side sticks out 4-6 inches and the right side (discharge side) sticks out maybe 2-3 inches. The smaller deck the less they stick out - 48" three blade deck is the minimum width I would consider and that may be 3-4" left and 1-2" discharge side. Get a 52-60" if possible and measure around your yard to make sure a 60" will work for your tight spots.

Thanks for the info on the deck orientation.

I was thinking a 52" deck would be ideal. 48" will be minimum, but not sure I can go up to 54"...if anything just for price. 60" is too big from a practical POV given the tree spacing we have.