Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #961  
wonder if the D902 you have mentioned is importable
Yep they are. 722, 902, and 25hp yanmar all common enough among the sellers. As well as 2 speed travel. 902 should be a good match for 2T.
Iirc, you do need the upgraded hydro system for the 2 speed though, not just 2spd capable motors.

Ya gotta keep in mind any US 'dealer' is gonna have as much markup as they can get. For some it's totally worth it.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #962  

Ya gotta keep in mind any US 'dealer' is gonna have as much markup as they can get. For some it's totally worth it.
Yeah some of that markup is a bit extreme. Though one does have to be careful to compare feature sets and if there is better quality control involved in construction.

The US market is being flooded with a lot of these machines. It will be interesting how it shakes out in the next few years.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #963  
Typhon would be the first dealer in US I'd buy from. Like their machines and got dude on the phone like right away when I had ? as well. For some it's worth even paying GH or KR markups for their dealer service.

Anway, thanks for all the input from this thread so far- all the fittings arrived and I was able to add a tee for gauge and flow control. About $220 total for all, incl 3gauge kit, flow control, and a few extra fittings. Discount hydro had most everything and great price on custom hose.
IMG_20231212_124208.jpgIMG_20231212_124159.jpg
Mechanical linkage mods for levers
IMG_20231212_124134.jpgIMG_20231212_124112.jpg

Parts and pieces mocked up
IMG_20231212_093855.jpgIMG_20231212_093827.jpg
Leveled lot out (dirt at back used to swale up to alley and to the siding on neighbors garage
level lot.jpgIMG_20231209_153844.jpg
Start drilling 12" holes for post/beam building posts. Bit is 36" but can do 48" deep no problem since pump is only 8 or 10" diameter x >12" high.
12 auger.jpg12auger.jpg
I made a couple shorts with specifics of mods so far- will post the links then.
Really excited with pressure up 10% from 2250 to 2500psi, and 2stage set 40% up from 1000 to 1400psi cutoff.
With boom flow adjusted down, counterweight, and engine rpm at ~ 60% it's running awesome.

Higher wear on everything obviously but if briggs can handle the torque demand, I wonder how high I can set pressure while still pumping full flow . . . . At full flow AND full pressure it would really shred the work. Just hopefully not itself haha.
Also wonder if 3000psi would be reasonably safe for the system. 10% increase is already noticeable. . . . I think the lowest rated pressure of any one component is at least 3300psi.

flow control and tee youtube.com/watch?v=w0PmcmjWxyo
change pressures youtube.com/watch?v=4l-7BvZF2Ao
blade/thumb mechanical youtube.com/watch?v=FatoKGaqlLE
hitch an counterweight youtube.com/watch?v=1geOeon6v04
overall synop youtube.com/watch?v=d1chr3LWvss

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
Really excited with pressure up 10% from 2250 to 2500psi,
Also wonder if 3000psi would be reasonably safe for the system. 10% increase is already noticeable. . . . I think the lowest rated pressure of any one component is at least 3300psi.
2250psi was as-delivered RV setting? Good you bumped it up.

2400-2500psi is the target RV setting, and going higher is a function of net forces and strength of design, not the component ratings on these machines. By that, I mean, what are the pin diameters and the cylinder IDs? The moment arm lengths on the dipper and bucket, as well as the thickness of the bucket carcass are all criteria that limits pressure setting.

I run a thicker bucket on my backhoe, attached to a 2500psi tractor, and have bent or cracked it in unexpected places.

If you decide to crank RV pressure up to 3000, I would not be concerned about damage to hoses, fittings, or cylinders. I would first expect damage to the buckets.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #965  
Yes 2250psi stock. Got job done fine but the added pressure at 2500 should help break hard ground and more power to travel/turn.

Agree, structural issues before hydro issues is likely. Higher overall wear on pump, motor, cylinders would be a given though. They have to work harder even when being gentle.

My main concern is the higher pressure causing inferior construction or low quality seals in pump/motors/cylinders to fail.
I can be more gentle with functions so machine doesn't rip itself apart and if not that is on me ya know?
I'd rather beef up attachments or even gusset pivot points before dealing with seals in components starting to blow out one by one.

Speaking of buckets, I've been happy with the stock digging and the kamran auto 80cm smooth buckets. While heavier I can still see the 80cm could get wrecked faster 4 sure, but nothing some extra metal can't fix though right? Pretty certain some mild steel added here and there would be helpful as needed and easy to achieve.

Let's measure and weigh some buckets to compare, perhaps not all buckets are created equal? Would be great to know where to get the heaviest duty ones. I will picture measure and weight my digging bucket soon.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #966  
Our local monthly auction always seems to have a few new 3-4T Chinese units. and the max bids are usually under $15K. Some are AGT, and the others I don't know who makes them. All seem to have Yanmar or Kubota diesels, servo controls, swing boom, adjustable track. I suspect the importer is taking a loss on these, too.

Good luck, and report what you get.

Here's one I am bidding on a CFG STE35 a 2800KG or 3 ton machine with a Yanmar 3 Cyl diesel made by Shantui (imported by AGT) - with a QA bucket and Hyd thumb - heat no AC but it has good fit and finish on the hoses routing and overall workmanship appears good. If I can get this for under 19K its a good deal I think.(plus $3K tax,commisions, shipping) my goal is under $22K delivered. https://www.rbauction.com/idp/2023-...=14275482&id=ci&auction=NORTH-EAST-MD-2023343

Shantui make big machines - excvators and dozers etc. Anyone have experience with these? Good or bad? Recommendations

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #968  
Yes there are several at different RB auctions too - seem to go from 19-25K range - but Idaho is a big bite on delivery costs to the east coast - the one in RB in MD is $1200 shipping 400 mi so not too bad.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #969  
If they go for out of your price range take a look at the 2700kg Typhon. List price of $20K but a 10% off being offered.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #970  
I have a quick question for the experts on the forum. As you can see in the pic, my AGT L12 has a hydraulic cooler and fan in front of the Briggs. The recoil starter is still on the engine and I am considering removing it. Would removing it help to increase the airflow? I think the Briggs is going to need all the airflow I can get when summer gets here. I would like to keep the cooler and fan where they are so I can use dfkrug suggestion to install duct work between the fan and outside air. thanks.20231207_104227.jpg