Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
The recoil starter is still on the engine and I am considering removing it. Would removing it help to increase the airflow?
Removing it would help some, yes.

But, looking at the bigger picture, the hyd oil cooler installation on your machine is not well thought out, IMO.

On my machine, I installed the engine flipped around 180 degrees from the 1-cylinder diesel that was usually installed. That way, I could fit the engine in there and duct the air like they did with the diesel, but also giving me enough room to fit the hydraulic pump with its coupling on the opposite side of the engine (PTO side).

You may want to do this with your machine. Flip the engine around and duct air in thru the flywheel, and making sure the oil cooler fan blows outward. If it blows outward now, it is fighting the inward flow from the engine fan. If it is blowing inward, the engine is trying to cool itself with hot air. Both are sub-optimal.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #972  
I knew you would have the answer.. I will go back through your thread and see if I can find pics of what you did..Thanks!(y)(y)

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #973  
Yes remove pull start, leaving duct/cover intact.

But why not (with cooler fan blowing correct direction) just add ducting as everything sets? Fresh cool air for cooler and on to motor. Perhaps then another fan to help vent the house on other side.
If moving anything at all (to give each virgin air), pretty sure I'd consider moving cooler first. . . that sounds really involved to rotate and remount engine?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #974  
Yes remove pull start, leaving duct/cover intact.

But why not (with cooler fan blowing correct direction) just add ducting as everything sets? Fresh cool air for cooler and on to motor. Perhaps then another fan to help vent the house on other side.
If moving anything at all (to give each virgin air), pretty sure I'd consider moving cooler first. . . that sounds really involved to rotate and remount engine?
I like your thinking. since I can monitor engine temp, it wont hurt to try it your way first. if the temp exceeds 300 then i will do what dfkrug suggests. I had no idea keeping things cool would be an issue on this machine. It seems they were designed for a diesel and for some reason they had to put the Briggs in instead. Unfortunately, they didn't worry about anything other than very basic short-term operation. Also, how do I get into my avatar area so I can add my L12 to the list and add my location? Thanks for the help (y)

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #975  
I like your thinking. since I can monitor engine temp, it wont hurt to try it your way first. if the temp exceeds 300 then i will do what dfkrug suggests. I had no idea keeping things cool would be an issue on this machine. It seems they were designed for a diesel and for some reason they had to put the Briggs in instead. Unfortunately, they didn't worry about anything other than very basic short-term operation. Also, how do I get into my avatar area so I can add my L12 to the list and add my location? Thanks for the help (y)
Keep in mind the charging capacity of the engine. Too many fans will exceed the B&S ability to operate and keep battery charged. From my research I went with only one fan of 80 watts. It along with an aluminum plate on top of the exhaust, plus running the exhaust piping further out the back made a huge decrease in engine compartment temperature.

Due to EPA rules the Chinese diesels and gas engines that the minis were designed for could not be imported to the US. It is why the OP ordered his first machine without an engine. Than they figured out that Chinese built B&S had EPA certification so they shoe horned them in. They also started adding Diesels that met standard as time went by and now you have a fair selection.

You can go to Account settings by clicking on the link at the top of the Forum, scrow down to Tractor:
to add more items into your Avatar area.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #976  
Thanks Matt!! (y)

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #977  
I would love to learn more specifics about the pumps/valves used. Leking, Ltmg, and Rippa were higher priced and they didn't share anything other than hydro flow (100lpm rexroth was best of the 3 from Leking). But ya know dam well there is literature somewhere on the parts even if untranslated.
I assume perhaps the stack is split with multiple inputs and reliefs like the 'real' diggers are.
I wonder also the specifics of control for boom swing, blade, telescope, and aux1 and 2 control. Probably there will be some pilots and/or solenoids for most or all.
Me Too, not alot of info when you start asking the hard questions.Most of the companies can only send stock fotos. Still prying for all the specifics.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #978  
Quick up date. I approached a few more manufacturers to cover all my bases. All these companies whether suppliers or parts manufacturers are in communication with each other apparently. I have been flooded with quotes on the specs I wanted + attachments. I now have 2 companies willing to ship, my color choice from a pallet of 30 colors, for DDP ( direct to door, all duties, taxes, customs clearance, other fees, insurance delivered undamaged ) For a Bargain of $ 12,000 + change. Is there something I'm missing here or do they expect a huge order in the future. I've been straight with all of them from the beginning. Could use an " Amen" or "Run Away" from you guys.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
It seems they were designed for a diesel and for some reason they had to put the Briggs in instead.
I asked them 5+ y ago to put in a 420cc gas engine. 3 companies did it pretty quickly, but poorly. They also went to the Lovejoy coupler, which I also suggested. They did not do it in time for my initial purchase, but did it a year later for the Oking units we bought.

Rhinoceros was not interested, but I just heard they now have one with gas engine. Pretty much all of them do now.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #980  
If they go for out of your price range take a look at the 2700kg Typhon. List price of $20K but a 10% off being offered.

Matt - well the RB 3 Ton CFG / Shantui unit went for 20,500 - went up 5 K in last 5 minutes - needless to say I didnt get it. That wasn't a bad deal - but more than I wanted to outlay 0- would have been about $25K to my door with taxes fees and shipping.