Echo 590 or the X Series?

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #21  
Owned one of those ones like you talk about. Was the oil cap at rear. Think fuel and oil were opposites too.

Even like my later one in grey were opposites but normal size. If I recall right. Oil cap was at rear too but normal.

View attachment 827531View attachment 827532
that looks identical to my little 305 except the top handle
it just loves to breathe in sawdust but it's small and light and manages the little stuff just fine so I still like it

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #22  
It may just be my CS-590 but I find if I give the starter cord a yank when the switch is off, it'll flood like crazy and absolutely will not start any time soon without pulling the plug and letting everything dry out.

I've gotten really good at a pre-flight checkout including "turn that damn switch on", and then it always starts on the second pull.
You aren't the only one. I learned that the hard way myself. One thing I'm not all that fond of is that switch actually, but it works so I guess it's ok.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #23  
Echo changed the air path from the recoil side to the air filter because my top handle's air filter stays pretty clean all the time. I did buy the less expensive top handle versus the larger displacement one but it's peachy for what I need and the less expensive one comes with the reduced effort (I30) recoil, not that you need that for such a small saw.

It replaced a Stihl Professional Arborist saw that I managed to run over with the truck and I wasn't about to spend another 700 bucks for my stupidity.

It's a dang good little limbing saw and very light weight too boot. I did remove the Cat from the muffler however and opened up the final bolt on baffle that Echo puts on the muffler.

The saw is so lightweight it's almost like you have nothing in your hand(s).

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #24  
Eddie.... Just buy the 590 and be a happy camper....(y)(y) 20" bar and skip tooth chipper and get an extra loop as well so when the one on the saw needs sharpening, you can install the other. What I do, in fact I carry the second loop with me at the ready. I'm good at 'rocking' chains.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #25  
Found the pics in old thread in my CRG. Local guy that is running the husky caps on his 590. He ran as they come.

Also read where some folks used the o-ring from echo caps on the husky caps. 372-3120

🤷‍♂️

e590hcapss.jpg
e590hcapsss.jpg

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #26  
I spent more on my dang echo PAS280 straight shaft trimmer and power broom set up then them chainsaws are.
Think those 3 alone was around 7. Prob even more now days. Was a retirement gift to myself.

I went with the PAS system in the bigger 280 before they went to that smaller cc 2620 one. Got it while the 280 was still offered.

Got the wife the lesser stihl one being she wanted me to put a wheel kit on mine. I wish the stihl had used the 94 PH instead of the 55.

e280pasx.jpg

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #27  
Are they still using those little tiny fuel cap threads, or is that cap deceivingly larger than it looks? One of the things I found really frustrating about my older Echo's was their fuel and oil filler holes were so small and poorly located that they required a funnel to fill without spilling, especially when using No-Spil brand cans or pouring from a gallon jug of bar oil. Figured they would've caught up with the leading brands on that by now, it's such an easy thing to fix, but those filler caps look awful small.

Of course this doesn't affect the saw's performance, but it can make you love it a lot less.
I transfer my bar oil to 1 quart bottle, so no funnel required.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #28  
I do one of 3 things for bar oil. All 3 work depending where I am.

Regular nozzle on the husky combi grey one.
Gal or so size laundry bottle with push putton,
1 gal jug just cut a V in foil and little hole to breathe.

e490limbing.jpg

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #29  
Trying to tell what the caps were on this echo 702 I owned.

🤦‍♂️ :ROFLMAO: forgot they were both on top of those older saws. Under but in front of top handle.

2 different saws. My saw pic didnt show them well.

Looks like oil one was smaller on those back then too. 80's

e702x.jpg

e702jdd.jpg

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #30  
Bar oil in 1 gallon jugs seems to be always messy no matter the brand and it's sticky too. Been buying mine an Menards when on sale lately. I can never hit the fill hole with a 1 gallon jug without making a mess so I gave up trying long ago. An empty 85-140 gear oil bottle works well for me and they have a tapered pour spout as well.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT