Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw?

/ Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw? #1  

tacticalturnip

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610HST
Hello folks,

I'm looking to purchase a chainsaw to help clean up my property, as this winter was particularly rough on our less healthy trees. I've never run a chainsaw for any long length of time, so lets put that out there. My father-in-law was going to teach me how to use one, so I purchased chaps, proper gloves, and a helmet with face shield. Unfortunately he is the type that has a hard time working with others, let alone teaching, so this did not go further than an hour of hands-on time.

What I did learn that day was that his commercial Husqvarna chainsaw could, and did, beat the hell out of my wrists and hands. This led me to start looking at battery operated chainsaws, and they really seem to run the gambit from absolute crap to almost commercial quality, and the prices are just as all over the place. I was thinking that a battery powered unit would be fine for me, and that they'd be easier than a gas powered machine on my body. I found the quality ones to be considerably heavier than I ever would have expected, particularly with the battery in place; some were really well balanced, others not so much.

Anyhow, my research led me back to my Kioti dealer, as they're an Echo distributor as well; they had a great selection and I was able to get a good feel for a few different models. That said, my salesman really believes that the Echo CS-2511P, a small gas job, is the right machine for me. It's very small, but very stout, and he sells many of them to folks with arthritis, older arborists, etc. He also stated that the hard wood would take the battery chainsaws and half their charge right from the start. I could see this being the case, but is it?

Anyhow, what are your folks thoughts? Does anyone have experience with this saw? What's the general consensus on Echo?

/ Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw? #2  
I've been using an ECHO saw for 15 years or more. No complaints. Always starts easy. I'd buy it again.

I've only used non-alcohol gas in it.

Bruce

/ Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw?
I've been using an ECHO saw for 15 years or more. No complaints. Always starts easy. I'd buy it again.

I've only used non-alcohol gas in it.

Bruce

Given it's small size I think I'd keep a tin of ethanol-free gasoline, not even going to try to use a fuel can.

/ Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw? #4  
From someone else who has arthritis, I have never yet had my electric Stihl run out of power before I did.

And I don't miss the exhaust smell, the noise, the hard starts, the pulling the rope or the mixing the gas.

/ Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw? #5  
What diameter are the trees you will be dealing with? What species?

Hardwood can't take half the charge from the battery- the battery does not know what kind of wood is being cut. But hardwood, depending on the species, can be harder cutting so it take longer to make each cut. That will mean fewer cuts per battery or per tank of gas.

Modern gas saws use spring based anti vibration but saws from 20 years ago mostly used rubber AV. It's not nearly as good as the spring type.

The CS2511P is all of 25cc, which is pretty small. I have an Echo CS-352 which is 32cc. It's light, does not vibrate much and is super easy to start both for pull force and getting it to light up. But it's not got much power for cutting trees. I use it primarily for brush (which can get pretty large here like all the plants do, but it's rarely over 6" diameter).

My small tree and limbing saw is a 43cc Stihl MS241 that's no longer sold in the US. It has a 16" bar on it.

If you have trees in the 12"+ diameter range I'd recommend something in the 45-50cc range with a 16" or 18" bar. The MS261 is a pro saw in that range which is similar to my 241. Some of Echos saws are kind of old school in design and are heavy and underpowered, and some are not.

The book "To Fell A Tree" by Jeff Jepson is a great primer on felling, bucking and all things tree cutting. Don't forget steel toe boots. Foot injuries from chainsaws or dropped rounds are common.

/ Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw? #6  
echo's are nice saws and definitely not a saw to be ashamed of that's for sure... not my first choice but that's not your question... for what you describe a good dealer with good service and fair parts/repair pricing is probably more important than which top shelf brand you pick. Given what you describe with proper care and maintenance should last you many many years.

I have a $600 stihl battery saw (MSA220)as well as my gasers. This saw with large standard battery is rated by stihl for 45 minutes of cutting. If I wanted to I could buy their back-pack battery system that straps to my back and get up to 120 to 220 minutes of cutting but carrying battery pack on my back no appealing to me as I would choose a gaser for this. Good for quick around the yard jobs.

Last edited:
   / Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw? #7  
If you’re just cleaning up some down trees and such, an electric saw will work for you. If you are cutting for firewood and a lot each year, then maybe not. I suggest you review thoroughly the battery operated saws because some are decent: Milwaukee, Dewalt, EGO, etc. I have EGO lawnmower and pole saw and they work very well. Have considered their chainsaw as I already am “invested” in their line but have not committed myself. I would like to actually demo one personally as I do like the quick on/off and no smell of my EGO tools.

/ Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw? #8  
I believe in Echo strongly enough that I'm on my second one. They use a standard chain so replacement is never a problem. They start easily. I do prefer to run non ethanol gas in mine. I will also run it until the tank is empty or pour out the fuel then try to start it to make sure there's none left in the carburetor. You do not want gasoline to sit in the carburetor.

/ Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw? #9  
I think it's important to spec out your use first.
For smallish trees and not too big pine up to 10" pretty much anything will do battery or gas. A 25cc to me is more for limbing than bucking.

If you are cutting 20" oak or Ash, that won't do it in a reasonable time frame.

So what are you cleaning up? Range of size and we can help size the saw to the work.
I have a Echo CS-490 and a CS-620P to do 6" to 30"+ Ash etc.

Can use my pole saw to do smaller stuff, and a pole saw with a seperate extension, not expanding type might work too for <6" and mostly limbing.

/ Can I get some thoughts and opinions regarding Echo chainsaw?
I won't be felling any trees more than 8 inches or so in diameter; I will mostly be de-limbing, and cutting up brush.

Anything larger I'll bring in someone with more knowledge.