Echo CS 490 no start

/ Echo CS 490 no start #11  
Plugged air filter? Sounds like you have fuel and spark, just need air???

/ Echo CS 490 no start
Update: still won't fire or start, after putting a bit of 2-cycle oil in cylinder and fresh pre-mixed fuel. Air filter on or off, no change. No more ether, although I spoke with a neighbor who does use it occasionally for his chain saws- and he's a retired engineer who worked with a military application drone company that used a lot of small 2 cycle engines, so he knows small engines. Anyway, I am now thinking I will pull the carb and clean it. I haven't squirted ether directly into the cylinder, and I won't, although that could rule out a carb problem.

/ Echo CS 490 no start #13  
E-gas maybe and how long did it sit?
Never answered this question, although e gas or not, it shoulda kicked with fuel in the cylinder. Any chance the timing could be off? Sheared key?
Luckily I've caught e-gas before I used it, it just started coming around here lately so now I'm checking gas before I put it in my small engines and have been able to find good gas...so far.
SIN just gave me an old Shindawa 488 that won't start, a victim of e-gas, fuel filter is partially corroded and fuel line is like a limp sticky noodle and about as strong. Stuff should be outlawed.

/ Echo CS 490 no start
Yup- it was ethanol gas (10%) which has been the norm around here for years. We can thank the government and farmers who get subsidies for corn for it. I guess it does help with emissions, especially in warm weather, but there's a reason aviation gas is non-ethanol. We used to be able to buy straight gas at some locations, for a slight premium, but that's harder to find. Funny, but a lot of farmers prefer straight gas? I always use Marine Stabil in any gas that comes home in jugs, and I try not to keep it more than a month or so. Never stays in machines for storage. Ethanol is a curse, unless it's over ice after special handling with flavoring agents.

/ Echo CS 490 no start #15  
Spark arrestor screen on exhaust plugged up?

/ Echo CS 490 no start
I found a video on YouTube where the guy had exactly the same situation as me- except he went a step further and pulled the muffler to squirt ether into the cylinder directly, after which it fired. Blocked carb! I removed and cleaned the carb, and since it didn't appear to be gunked up in any way, I was holding my breath. Fired and ran on the first pull. Hardest part was getting the needle valve/spring assembly back together. It's running like a champ now.

/ Echo CS 490 no start #17  
There can be many reasons that your echo 490 chainsaw won't start. You have to look into these things to find out what is the issue your chainsaw is not starting:

• Make sure you are not using the old fuel in your echo chainsaw
  • Probably the settings are wrong. ( Cold start is different and warm start is different )
  • Spark plug might be in bad condition
  • Air filter might be clogged
  • Ignition coil might be faulty.

Last edited:
   / Echo CS 490 no start #18  
The carburetor might be clogged. A clogged carburetor is often caused by leaving fuel in the chainsaw for a long period of time

/ Echo CS 490 no start
You got it, jonconner. I posted earlier that I removed and cleaned the carb. Although it appeared clean, something was clogged. Runs like a champ, once again.

/ Echo CS 490 no start #20  
The passages in a chainsaw carb are tiny to begin with so it don't take much to clog them. Why I use synthetic fuel. It might cost a bit but it don't gum anything up. I either use Echo Red Armor or Tru-Fuel 50-1 premix.