Ditch Witch C99

/ Ditch Witch C99 #141  
Nice work. Mine had some strange white stuff growing on the points. Cleaned them up with some emery cloth and it was good. I'll take a look at the oil level inspection system on mine later today and will get back to you. Also had issues with the safety interlock switch.
Thank you! My interlock wasn't functioning either by I was able to easily understand it and bypass it to get it running.

Engine runs fine, the digging chain is operational and it crawls backwards, but I can't get it to engage into mobile. Im hoping that it's just a little stuck, like my joints in the morning.

Powerwashing it now so I can more easily dig into it. Im enough of a mechanic to know that I REALY don't want to start taking gear boxes apart :)

Off to the manual.....again

/ Ditch Witch C99 #142  
Thank for all the helpful posts on this thread. I have c99 that had a broken head. I replaced the entire block and used all the old internals. It fires right up and runs great. Moves forward and backwards and the chain spins. But as soon as I apply a load the engine starts to slow. If I start to bury the chain the engine dies. Compression is at 110 and advice? The rpm’s seem a little low compared to some Other videos I’ve seen any help is greatly appreciated. I’ll try and post a video as well.

/ Ditch Witch C99 #143  
And.....another one gets sucked in to the C99 vortex :)

/ Ditch Witch C99 #145  
Anyone with an idea where I should start?

/ Ditch Witch C99 #146  
Thank for all the helpful posts on this thread. I have c99 that had a broken head. I replaced the entire block and used all the old internals. It fires right up and runs great. Moves forward and backwards and the chain spins. But as soon as I apply a load the engine starts to slow. If I start to bury the chain the engine dies. Compression is at 110 and advice? The rpm’s seem a little low compared to some Other videos I’ve seen any help is greatly appreciated. I’ll try and post a video as well.
I would take a look at the governor mechanism. Sounds like it might be stuck.

/ Ditch Witch C99 #147  
Any good way to check if it’s working correctly without opening up the bottom end?

/ Ditch Witch C99 #148  
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Watch the throttle butterfly pivot shaft and / or the governor linkage to the carburetor when you apply load. It should move more toward the open position. Another test is to push to linkage one way or the other to speed up or slow down the engine. The governor should apply pressure to move the speed back to that set by the throttle. This is most effective when engine speed is faster.

Let us know what you find out.

/ Ditch Witch C99 #149  
Pu
If anyone is still in this thread.......Success. It runs!!

New plug, plug wire, cleaned up points, cleaned up fuel supply and it started right up. Started smoothly and sounded good.

I didn't run it too long because, in all the manuals, I can't find out how to check the engine oil level. There is a tube coming up from the crankcase but no dipstick attached????? I tipped the machine back and saw oil but Im not going to run it until I know it's full.
Pull the angled plug on the front of the engine. Full is when the oil level is up to the opening, just not quite spilling out.

/ Ditch Witch C99 #150  
I get a few requests for the owner's and parts manuals for this valuable old critter and I am happy to share. However, I can't send attachments with a TBN response, so if anyone needs these files in the future, just drop me a pm with an actual email address and I will send them right along. I can't just attach them to a forum post, it seems. Not surprising.

I also found you can't post PDFs to Photobucket, or I'd leave a link to them. The OM is about 2.7 Mb and the parts breakdown is 3.5, just give me a valid addy and they are on the way.

GW, thanks for sharing. There is also a zerk on the planetary reducer housing and I hope pumping that sucker full of grease eases the shifting process. Gonna try it in the morning. Shifting has been my biggest headache.

PS: I have always loved the word "zerk" so in the course of this reply I looked it up... worth a post in itself, if you like this sort of thing: Oscar Ulysses Zerk (1878 - 1968) - Find A Grave Memorial. Thank you, Oscar U. Zerk!
I get a few requests for the owner's and parts manuals for this valuable old critter and I am happy to share. However, I can't send attachments with a TBN response, so if anyone needs these files in the future, just drop me a pm with an actual email address and I will send them right along. I can't just attach them to a forum post, it seems. Not surprising.

I also found you can't post PDFs to Photobucket, or I'd leave a link to them. The OM is about 2.7 Mb and the parts breakdown is 3.5, just give me a valid addy and they are on the way.

GW, thanks for sharing. There is also a zerk on the planetary reducer housing and I hope pumping that sucker full of grease eases the shifting process. Gonna try it in the morning. Shifting has been my biggest headache.

PS: I have always loved the word "zerk" so in the course of this reply I looked it up... worth a post in itself, if you like this sort of thing: Oscar Ulysses Zerk (1878 - 1968) - Find A Grave Memorial. Thank you, Oscar U. Zerk!

Hi Dave,
This is Don Young. Did you get my PM request for a copy of your manuals for the C99? I couldn't tell if it got sent or not. I'll try sending it again just to be sure. Thanks, Don

Last edited: