Ditch Witch C99

/ Ditch Witch C99 #1  

daveshoot

Silver Member
Tractor
B2320, X300
I have found that 1) I can trench more with rentals than I can possibly install in one shot, and 2) trenches do not age well.

The upshot is re-digging all those trenches out by hand with a contractor's shovel, or cobbling up something that allows the CUT to help with the chore. Neither have turned out well for me. Rain also disperses or compacts your backfill.

So, I bought a trencher off of Craig's List. Been stalking them for some time, but the $$ or condition put me off. Until now....

This "antique" Ditch Witch C-99 is an awesome little digger. It was $950 and I will call that good. The rope start kicks it on first pull every time (so far). It was well cared for and home-serviced.

DitchWitchC99_zpsb01fe2d1.jpg

Shifting forward and reverse is a little tricky. I can share one painful way not to do it, but it works pretty well once you get the hang of it. I can run an easy 2' deep when and wherever I want, and it's at least a little more maneuverable in some of the tighter places.

You trench in the reverse creeper gear, and once it's all going you can sit down and watch. It will just pull a straight line unless you hit something you should have known was there. Or an undocumented rock.

If anyone else has one, I have scanned the owner's manual and have the parts book as well. It's been out of production since at least '99.

I have finally got my pipes from the well to the house (and under the driveway, courtesy of a rental UnderWonder) and am finally making some real progress.

/ Ditch Witch C99 #2  
I junked one about like it last summer. It was way too far gone to do anything with. Engine was locked up, all sheet metal had fallen off, tires rotted, rims rotted off of tires, no chain! You get the picture.
It was given to me and I thought it might still have some life left in it until I looked it over.
Trenchers are FUN!!
I had a Bobcat Ride On w/6' chain and 35hp Kabota Engine that I got a great deal on but found out that Bobcat didn't build it and didn't parts support it. The hydraulic drive motor quit working, I sold it for over twice what I paid.
I also bought a Case 100 (about like yours in size and design) at an auction for $90. not running. I got it running and played with it then got a lot more for it!

/ Ditch Witch C99
Thanks for your reply. The manual might be useful for someone, as I found they are hard to find via Google.

Rats, still woulda been some good parts on that junker.

I now need to replace the main drain down to the septic (they installed drainage pipe, instead of ABS, and the roots have gotten in) and I am wondering if I could trench either side of the existing pipe to remove and replace. Everything is possible when you have a trencher. The poor man's backhoe!

/ Ditch Witch C99 #4  
I got a C99 that was in pretty bad shape. I have managed to get it working again. I could not find a manual for it. I sure would appreciate any documentation you have on it.

/ Ditch Witch C99
Sent to your email addy. I will scan the parts book next week, if that helps.

/ Ditch Witch C99 #6  
I seem to use my trencher about once a year and it's more then paid for itself already. Once you have one, you'll find all sorts of things that you want to do that you hadn't considered. I even use it to dig out footings!!!!

Congratulations,
Eddie

/ Ditch Witch C99 #7  
It looks like a great find. I've been looking at them, but most of the ones I see on Craigslist are either really expensive, or in really bad shape.

Good luck with it.

/ Ditch Witch C99 #8  
I just purchased an old C99 and got her running ( fresh gas and a new condenser) I have looked for the books and cant find them so would love to get a copy if I can Thanks In advance Gary

/ Ditch Witch C99
Gmorr, shoot me an email address via PM, that I can send attachments to. They are about 3 Mb each.
I think I got the others sent out.

To be fair: Ditch Witch tech support sent me the hardcopies for this long-discontinued trencher at no charge. They are a stand up outfit! Personally I prefer everything electronically so I woulda scanned 'em anyway.

/ Ditch Witch C99 #10  

I think I did this right this is my C99 very short vid, I am missing the belt shroud but with new gas and condenser "as in points and" the old girl seems to be running well