Coolant overflow reservoir not working?

/ Coolant overflow reservoir not working? #1  

LightningCamaroGuy

Silver Member
Tractor
Changing the coolant in my 18 JD 5075E and my coolant reservoir is empty. Still plenty of coolant in the radiator. Tractor doesn't have any issues overheating unless I get the coolers and radiator filled with trash where they can't breathe. I started filling the reservoir with water to flush the system, and it just sits in there and doesn't go anywhere. I have to remove the radiator cap to add to the coolant system. How is this thing expected to gravity feed? The hose running into the radiator sits higher than the reservoir.the only other hose is an overflow hose. My trucks have an extra large hole coming out the bottom of the reservoir to run into the system. The manual says to fill at the reservoir? WTF?

Here's the tractor with the two small hoses and one of my trucks with the large hose coming out the bottom of the reservoir.View attachment 842612View attachment 842613
20240105_151207_HDR.jpg

/ Coolant overflow reservoir not working?
Why does this site do such a poor job of hosting pictures whenever I try posting them?

/ Coolant overflow reservoir not working? #3  
The coolant system is a closed loop. That is that when the coolant gets hot it expands and overflows into the reservoir. When the coolant cools, it will suck coolant from the reservoir back into the radiator. The reservoir does not need to be higher then the radiator.

Do NOT put water in the reservoir, always put antifreeze in it.

Richard

/ Coolant overflow reservoir not working? #4  
Just an expansion tank and nothing more and it actually increases the fluid capacity of the radiator because it removes the air space in the top of the rad holding tank so no air in there unlike vehicles with no expansion tank. On my trauk and cars, there is no rad cap. Everything is done through the expansion tank and the pressure cap is on the tank. On my tractors, they have a rad cap on the rad and the poly tank is merely for expansion.

/ Coolant overflow reservoir not working? #5  
It does a fine job of hosting pictures but you MUST enter them one at a time. You didn't need any pictures anyway, we all knew what you were asking.

The coolant system is a closed loop. That is that when the coolant gets hot it expands and overflows into the reservoir. When the coolant cools, it will suck coolant from the reservoir back into the radiator. The reservoir does not need to be higher then the radiator.

Do NOT put water in the reservoir, always put antifreeze in it.

Richard
Yes, I made sure to drain and blow the water out and replace it with coolant.

Better read it again. I'm sure it says to fill the rad and then to TOP OFF the plastic tank AFTER the vehicle warms up,
You're correct. It's kind of hidden deeper in the directions, and early on it was easy to find it saying to make sure to fill the reservoir, but that was for the check fluid, and not the flush, and that threw me off, plus I watched a video where a guy with a 6100D was filling at his reservoir, and that also threw me off.

Why do they want you to fill the reservoir if it's not being used? It looks like just a place for coolant to escape under too much pressure. I don't see how the coolant could get from the reservoir to the radiator with the cap blocking the hole, and no pressure to push it up the tube? It seems like you'd want it empty, unless the system is draining itself.?.?

View attachment 842640

It does a fine job of hosting pictures but you MUST enter them one at a time. You didn't need any pictures anyway, we all knew what you were asking.
Nope. I tried that the other day, and in the above post. It's very selective on what pictures it will take. It's random, even with smaller sized pictures.