Chain sharpening

/ Chain sharpening #11  
^^^^
I use the Stihl files too. Easy to use and they work very well.

Mike

/ Chain sharpening #12  
I used the Stihl kit with round and flat file and guide for years, but recently got the Timberline sharpener. It gives a consistent sharpen, however every once in a while I find I need to use a round file to deepen the "gully" below the cutting edge to keep that slight undercut of the tooth correct.

Timberline sharpener.jpg

/ Chain sharpening #13  
Been written a lot about it before on TBN but
sharpen her little 12 inch Stihl chains;
I'm assuming you meant chains for a 12" bar, so if you can't hand file the best inexpensive tool for small chains is the Stihl that kthompson mentioned.
I used to do chain saw milling with Stihl 660's and a 41" bar on hardwood. That dulls chains quickly. And a dull chain doesn't work.
I'd saw about 10 to 20 feet. do a hand file, repeat twice, do a file with a Grandberg, repeat twice the use my Oregon 410 clone just to get everything back true.
Now for most of my usage either a hand file or the Stihl 2-in1 takes care of everything.
Remember to match the file to the chain.

/ Chain sharpening #14  
I suggest you to check out chainsaw course by visit our website which covers all the details of handling the chainsaw safely and securely.

/ Chain sharpening #15  
I use the timeberline on the pico chains too. been happy with it once I got it down.

/ Chain sharpening #16  
An old carpenter showed me how to sharpen a chain freehand when I was in my teens. That method worked well on three or four saws. Then, I got one with a kickback resistant chain and couldn't get it to cut worth a kick, without a guide.

Last edited:
   / Chain sharpening
I used the Dremel yesterday on both B&D chains, without the guide. Could not have used the guide on the alligator one. Used a C clamp to hold the bar in place for the one B&D but had to use the C clamp to hold one side of the alligator's mouth open to get at the teeth on it. Certainly could not use a guide on it.

/ Chain sharpening #19  
I have 3 chainsaws that I rotate as I have a lot of tree and subsequent cleanup. After each use I clean using compressed air, then tighten chainsaw, and then sharpen. Before putting the chainsaw away I make sure the oil and 50:1 gas is full. I always use the pre-mixed gallon cans which are expensive but takes the guess work out.

I did learn that the bar itself should be greased and there is a tool for that.
Oregon 26365 Chainsaw Grease Gun

/ Chain sharpening #20  
The Sthil 2-in1 chain sharpener is about as easy as it gets:

View attachment 691081
Agree...I bought the Pferd version Same thing but a little less $$. I would learn to do a better job but I am just a hack and good enough is good enough. BTW, I have a buddy who is an arborist and cuts for a living. He was impresses with my little "toy".