After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #32  
Att'n, 5030, sorry I missed your post on the CBN wheel. I was on a cruise when you posted. Later

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #33  
4n1 Stihl hand filing tool is the only way to go. Once you get the hang of it you'll never look back.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #34  
I've filed by hand for 50 yrs. Figured I could buy a lifetime of new chains for the cost of one those fancy sharpeners now that I'm nearing 70 yrs ;) Amazon baby

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #35  
The chain grinder is all about consistency, consistency that hand filing cannot ever produce. With each and every tooth exactly the same sharpened length and tooth angle consistent, cutting will be straight and true. It's all about consistency that by hand filing cannot obtain. Besides, I like to keep all my loops sharp. Less effort expended on my part when cutting. Need to start buying saw chain in bulk and buy a spinner, riveter at some point.
If you are unable to cut straight after hand filing your chain then the power grinder is definitely the tool for you ! Or maybe some manual chain filing lessons from a good teacher Would would help.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #36  
Here is my thought. If you are going to hand file a chain you should be able to hand grind a drill. I started grinding tools in 1968. I know all of you remember the carbide grades 13A and 44B, aka 370 and 883.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder
I offhand grind twist drills all the time but chainsaw loops are different and a chain grinder eliminates the inconsistencies in angles. The addition of a CBN wheel from Diamond Wheels makes it even better. With a Cubic Boron Nitride wheel, you never need to radius dress the wheel ever and lifetime is claimed to be 1000 chain loops.

4n1 Stihl hand filing tool is the only way to go. Once you get the hang of it you'll never look back.
The issue with that as well as all the hand filing jigs is, holding a consistent angle tooth to tooth. The Oregon (Tecome) grinder does that for you. They make all the Oregon chain grinders btw.

No getting the 'hang of it' with the Oregon. You set the angles and grind the profile, first time, every time and with the CBN wheel, it will outlast you unlike files that wear out rapidly and have to be replaced.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #40  
The issue with that as well as all the hand filing jigs is, holding a consistent angle tooth to tooth. The Oregon (Tecome) grinder does that for you. They make all the Oregon chain grinders btw.

No getting the 'hang of it' with the Oregon. You set the angles and grind the profile, first time, every time and with the CBN wheel, it will outlast you unlike files that wear out rapidly and have to be replaced.
I do not think a perfectly consistent grind makes much of a difference, I can use a brand new chain and it doesn't cut any better. With the 4n1 tool it is pretty easy to get the angle right. Also the grinders take off a excessive amount of material and you end up not getting as much life out of the chain. Also you have to remove the chain from the saw.