After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder
At this rate, the sharpener starts to close in on the price of the $350 arborist saw.
That is true but I have more than just the Echo. I own a Stihl 028AV, a Stihl MS, a Stihl 075 and an 090 as well. I should sell the MS, don't really like it and buy another, larger Echo and I have feeling that I'll be running loops for my friends as well. No one I know likes hand filing.

This is how to grind square tooth chains:
View attachment 787444
I hand file the skip tooth 404 square tooth chipper with a flat file. Don't need that though it looks neat, I bet it's not a cheap date either. I don't use the square tooth chain much anyway and I have 2 loops.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #23  
IDK, I just wonder why something as mechanically complex as the arborist saw sells for $350 but then an electric grinder is $200 plus another $100 for a sharpening wheel?

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #24  
IDK, I just wonder why something as mechanically complex as the arborist saw sells for $350 but then an electric grinder is $200 plus another $100 for a sharpening wheel?
I have a trusty used Echo 16" that does all the pruning needed around here. I figure I could buy a lifetime supply of chains for much less than the cost of a sharpener and accessories. Especially if I hand file each one once or twice. :unsure:

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #25  
Because you are buying a precision grinding tool and with proper care it will last a lifetime ... And sharpen many chains (that are consumables) over its lifetime..

The chain grinder is all about consistency, consistency that hand filing cannot ever produce. With each and every tooth exactly the same sharpened length and tooth angle consistent, cutting will be straight and true. It's all about consistency that by hand filing cannot obtain. Besides, I like to keep all my loops sharp. Less effort expended on my part when cutting. Need to start buying saw chain in bulk and buy a spinner, riveter at some point.

Because you are buying a precision grinding tool and with proper care it will last a lifetime ... And sharpen many chains (that are consumables) over its lifetime..
Just because I bought the Echo top handle to replace the 700 buck Stihl arborist saw that got smashed, I have other saws and they are expensive compared to the Echo. The MS I own (and don't really like) was 600 bucks when I purchased it for instance.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #28  
I had a new Stihl - stolen. After that I bought used saws. Of course nobody stole those. But they worked just fine like my used tractor and wife I guess :ROFLMAO:

Only thing 'used' here besides my tractors is my wife and my off lease car.. She was married previously but it's said you cannot wear it out anyway. I agree with that and I've tried....lol

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #30  
I mostly sharpen by hand but occasionally take chain to dealer and pay $8 to have it sharpened. New chain is only $20 from local dealer so I have 3 Spare chains on hand. I also have a power sharpener but seldom use it because I’m willing to pay the $8 to have It sharpened by a pro occasionally, I also have a friend that can hand file a chain better than new It’s pretty amazing to watch it’s almost effortless for him.