After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Nothing against hand filing at all other than it's time consuming and dull cutters really take time to get sharp. I have a Timberline clamp on the bar tooth sharpener as well (that I'm giving away now). The Oregon grinder isn't a cheap date ($209.00 on Amazon with free delivery) but it very consistently sharpens each tooth plus you can set the rakers with it. Comes with 3 grinding wheels (also available on Amazon or from Oregon direct or your local chainsaw shop), a dressing stone (to maintain the correct radius on the wheels) as well as a radius gage and raker gage and the correct Allen wrenches for changing the wheels.

Oregon offers 2 models, the one I bought with the manual clamping vise and a more expensive one with a hydraulic vise (that I don't need). The aluminum castings are very nice and well machined and powder coated. Overall fit and finish is top shelf too.

Initial set up takes some time as all the grinding angles are adjustable but once it's set up, all you need to do is dial in the appropriate angles and change the wheels for various chain pitches. It sharpens all pitches, from 1/4 low profile chipper to 404 skip tooth. Of course it won't sharpen square tooth chipper, that is always a hand file chain.

No matter how good you are at hand filing, consistent tooth sharpening is always an issue. With the Oregon, every tooth is ground equally and setting the rakers is simply a matter of changing wheels.

I agonized over buying one for a long time but I finally sprung for one. Glad I did.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #2  
I recently got the Tecomec version of the same thing....still working to dial it in, but I got used to sharpening that way in a previous life, and in general, think these things are worth having.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #3  
I've had the Oregon sharpener for many many years, it's help up well and does a great job for me.

Some folks can do a better job hand filing than a grinder will do, but I'm NOT one of them, so I carry a few chains into the woods and change them out as needed.

SR

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder
I recently got the Tecomec version of the same thing....still working to dial it in, but I got used to sharpening that way in a previous life, and in general, think these things are worth having.
Actually, Tecomec makes all the Oregon grinders as well. Rebadged with the Oregon nameplate. Says so right on the serial number plate on the one I bought. 'Made by Tecomec'....

Some folks can do a better job hand filing than a grinder will do, but I'm NOT one of them, so I carry a few chains into the woods and change them out as needed.
I do the same thing actually and while the Timberline does a consistent job, it takes a lot of time to run a loop plus you have to clamp the saw and bar in a stump vise. No matter how I try hand filing, I cannot get a consistent tooth and my angle is hard to hold as well. I've eliminated that now.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #6  
I use the Stihl 2 in 1 and have since they came out. They are very fast. It is about 7 min a chain and can be used in the field.

Have one as well. Just tired of dealing with hand filing and replacing worn files. Besides, chain removal allows me to clean the bar groove and inspect the bar and drive sprockets. I procrastinated about getting one for years now and finally got one. A uniform consistent tooth and set rakers results in a straight cut, unlike hand filing. Seems as though every chainsaw shop has one.

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #8  
Happiness is a sharp chain and a chainsaw that starts up right away. :)

I've had my Oregon around 15 years and leave it set up in the basement all the time.

Cheers,
Mike

/ After years of hand filing, went and bought myself an Oregon chain grinder #10  
I have every type of chain saw sharpener known to man, expect for a silvey grinder. If I find one of those I will buy that too.

However, the best technique after going through all these process is still hand filling. I put some time into really learning how to do it. I have found it gives me the best cutter at the fastest pace. I can sharpen a 20" chain in about 8 minutes to razor sharp.

I have two saws, a Stihl 090 and a husky 2100 that need a good load on them or they just 4 stroke too much. For those two saws, I really cut the rakers down to load up the saw.

The best thing to do is just practice. I have tons of trees between my cabin and the ranch. I am always sharpening chain and it got me to understand what works and what dosen't.