Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it?

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #31  
@coffeeman... I'm in the industry... so... security systems are to make you feel safe...A criminal does not care...A security system is "in fact" after the fact, i.e. something has to already had to happened to set it in to motion. I'm not dis-condoning it's relevance; just that it already happened (not preventing it from happening). I've seen time & time again that people want un-seen cameras / hidden cameras even on multi-million dollar projects, but you actually want them known & to be seen... prevention of a crime is your best defense.... if someone passes over your property due to noticed security measures... that is a win.
I agree, deterrence is good. Best is a BFD or 2.

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #32  
Used simplisafe at the church and the fellowship hall about 2 years ago. No problems with the sensors and their distance from the monitor. Just had to change the batteries on the keypads for the first time all the other batteries are original.
We have no internet available so simplisafe was our only workable choice.
It has worked very well for us.

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #33  
I agree, deterrence is good. Best is a BFD or 2.

We think alike... lol... my post #26... "an ideal setup is a dog with a really mean bark (even if he / she is not mean)... :)"

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #34  
Again, there is NOTHING stored in any camera or any device of any kind on your premise. Everything is stored in the cloud. Monitoring and extended cloud access is $100 per YEAR. A real bargain.
There are many that are OK with their info stored in the cloud... but many who are not. The "cloud" is just someone else's server waiting to be hacked... I do not want my video feeds stored there... remember cameras are on autonomous, they record everything, you... your family... anything that moves... not just the bad people. I choose to store that locally & securely.

I'm not dis-condoning it... everyone should decide for themselves.... It just is not where I want my personal video stored. It is one of the reasons we do not promote the Amazon & Google products to our clients... (they are internet marketing companies... not security companies.... like they would have you believe... they could care less about your security). disclaimer... "just my opinion"

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #35  
Just do a Google search of "SimpliSafe insecure wireless":

YouTuber Reveals SimpliSafe DIY Security System Can Be Bypassed With $2 Emitter
Hack Disarms SimpliSafe’s Home Wireless Security Systems

“If in fact the controller and receiver hardware are incapable of any type of upgrade, there will likely be calls for a large-scale recall,”

Other computer security persons have analysed SimpliSafe and found it to be "Inherently Insecure" and easily prone to being hacked. Reports go from 2016 to last year. So they do not appear to have a secure product. Particularly astounding is that there is no proper encryption of the communications.

Correction on 28 Dec 2021: Correction to my earlier post above. Apparently SimpliSafe with its version SS3 added end to end encryption and an SSL cert. That's good.

Mike

Last edited:
   / Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #36  
Simplisafe's answer.

"The video is misleading, and it doesn’t apply to how security systems work in real life.

As the video demonstrates, SimpliSafe systems are engineered to detect this kind of interference.

In this video, the videomaker finds a precise frequency, signal strength, and orientation of system components in which they can thread the needle of blocking system communication without triggering an alert.

In real life, this is unlikely. Because signal strength degrades unpredictably depending on distance and landscape, it would be very difficult for anyone to hit on the “right” strength without triggering an alert.

In addition, the setup the videomaker demonstrates (in which the sensors, base, keypad and “jammer” are all close together) does not resemble the setup of an actual home. In other words, prior knowledge of the layout of the motion sensors, door sensors and base station in the customers home and a rehearsal of how to move about the home would be necessary to confidently select a strength that will both jam and not be detected. In order for a real bad actor to effectively interfere with the system in this way, they would likely have to already be inside the home and have had ample practice.

We take very seriously anything that might interfere with our mission of keeping every home secure. We have the ability to tune the detection parameters and regularly release security and usability updates, making it increasingly difficult for anyone to use this type of attack."

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #37  
I'm not dis-condoning it... everyone should decide for themselves.... It just is not where I want my personal video stored. It is one of the reasons we do not promote the Amazon & Google products to our clients... (they are internet marketing companies... not security companies.... like they would have you believe... they could care less about your security). disclaimer... "just my opinion"
Yeah, I'm not a big believer in "cloud" storage either. While you know Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. are monetizing any bit of information they can gather on you, at least you can be pretty sure they'll still be there 10 years from now. Other sites (including manufacturers' own cloud servers), maybe maybe not. I am a believer in having important stuff backed up off-site, in the event of a disaster even if it's just a USB drive in an outbuilding on your property. Wouldn't help in an area-wide event (wildfire, hurricane, tornado), but it's better than nothing.
As far as security, I'm gonna bet theirs is way better than anything I could ever come up with.

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #38  
Correction to my earlier post. Apparently SimpliSafe with its version SS3 added end to end encryption and an SSL cert. That's good.