Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it?

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #21  
I’ve had SimpliSafe systems in two different houses for over 8 years. I’ve only had one false alarm and it was caused by a low battery.

If you go with them, make sure to get the proper network adapter. They sent a T-Mobile in mine and there is NO reception for that network where I live. Once I had it switched to Verizon I have had no problems.

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it?
I bought my package thru Amazon. Here is the Ring Website.

i bought the base package, and added parts and pieces as I needed.

I went ahead with the home monitoring at $100 per year. Or $10 per month. This gives you more space on their server for your camera uploads and actual monitoring. You don't have to buy monitoring if you don't want to. In other words, call the Sheriff yourself if you like with the notifications you get on your smart phones and/or computers.

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it?
I wonder about upload to server? Can you upload easy to remote system. My only thought if intruder came in and decided to take server knowing info is there. So camera is useless.
Of course all additions and more $$. How hard is it to hide a server? maybe have decoy server and another one working and hidden. Just rambling with ideas or thoughts

Thank you all. Have good Thanksgiving ...... STAY SAFE and BE SAFE.....Coffeeman.

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #24  
@coffeeman... I'm in the industry... so... security systems are to make you feel safe...A criminal does not care...A security system is "in fact" after the fact, i.e. something has to already had to happened to set it in to motion. I'm not dis-condoning it's relevance; just that it already happened (not preventing it from happening). I've seen time & time again that people want un-seen cameras / hidden cameras even on multi-million dollar projects, but you actually want them known & to be seen... prevention of a crime is your best defense.... if someone passes over your property due to noticed security measures... that is a win.

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #25  
@coffeeman... I'm in the industry... so... security systems are to make you feel safe...A criminal does not care...A security system is "in fact" after the fact, i.e. something has to already had to happened to set it in to motion. I'm not dis-condoning it's relevance; just that it already happened (not preventing it from happening). I've seen time & time again that people want un-seen cameras / hidden cameras even on multi-million dollar projects, but you actually want them known & to be seen... prevention of a crime is your best defense.... if someone passes over your property due to noticed security measures... that is a win.

Good advice! What’s an ideal setup?

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #26  
@Aquamoose - an ideal setup is a dog with a really mean bark (even if he / she is not mean)... :)

Not sure there really is one, everyone's situation is different & a system really should be designed on multiple factors; what is important to the client.... security of personal property from theft, fire, etc... the type & location of the property & budget all play a big role in a system. So an ideal setup for one client may not come close to working for a different one.

Now for our personal properties we have 4 systems for our House, Shop, cottage & FIL house & with the exception for our home, they all have pretty basic systems. All have cameras with motion detection / triggers & recording capabilities, sensors are on the doors, PIR motions (or floor motions) for interior, smokes & CO detectors, & water / temp sensors. These are the basics for us. We do have a panic / emergency button on my FIL system as he has a heart condition & he can notify us if he needs to... Our house has a fully integrated system that ties into everything... so there really is no ideal setup...

I self-monitor all these systems & do not use a monitoring company, everything comes to our smartphones... but this is not without risk too, I just choose to self-monitor for multiple reasons.

The ideal setup is to deter them from attempting a criminal act. Cameras in view help... automated lighting helps... even security system signs help (even if you don't have one)... unless they are after something in particular most robberies are smash & grabs & if you can make your property less appealing then the next... they hopefully will move on.

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #27  
I wonder about upload to server? Can you upload easy to remote system. My only thought if intruder came in and decided to take server knowing info is there. So camera is useless.
Of course all additions and more $$. How hard is it to hide a server? maybe have decoy server and another one working and hidden. Just rambling with ideas or thoughts

@coffeeman - Many systems allow you to upload video to a remote server but like you said it is usually at higher $$.

As far as a camera being useless if they take the recording device & answer is maybe... some security cameras have built in SD memory card slots & will allow you to record to both the NVR HD & to the built-in SD card in the camera as a back-up recording. Not as convenient as retrieving it for the NVR but is a low cost back-up.

Odds are if you just don't make the recording device easily accessible they probably won't ever touch it... they really just don't care. I'm sure I can count on one hand the number of time a recording devices was taken in the many years I've been in the industry

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #28  
I'm using the Blue Iris program and purchase cameras from various places but mostly Amazon
I have it at 2 locations and have 3 cameras at one and 9 cameras at another.

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #29  

Thank you all. Have good Thanksgiving ...... STAY SAFE and BE SAFE.....Coffeeman.
The server is in the cloud. The bad guys are going to have a hard time finding it. It is far far away. Nothing stored on the premises. :)

/ Build your own security system? "Simpli Safe" ? Any one use it? Or know if worth it? #30  
Again, there is NOTHING stored in any camera or any device of any kind on your premise. Everything is stored in the cloud. Monitoring and extended cloud access is $100 per YEAR. A real bargain.