Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #633  
Not gonna happen unless it's with funny money, your gummit is broke and has been for some time.
What's the gubermint being "broke" got to do with fiscal responsibility and a free market ?

Cheers,
Mike

/ Will UAW Strike? #635  
Maybe you all are clairvoyants but I don't see the government bailing out the automakers this time. I need to take a trip up to Dearborn-Rouge and see how many vehicles are left in the holding lots. I do know Stellantis is stockpiling new vehicles (Jeeps and such) in their Stickney Road holding lot as well as in their Monclova Township holding lots. Went by there yesterday.... and car dealers around here are loaded with new vehicles that don't seem to be going anywhere either.

I'd say with the failing economy, people won't be buying big ticket (and over priced) vehicles for a while.

I know I won't, I'd never even consider paying the price of a new vehicle today. There are much better and more lucrative ways to invest my money other than on something that depreciates.

Despite what the numerous talking heads expound about the economy and how factory orders are up, I don't see that at all. In fact, at least with companies I'm familiar with in the steel business, orders are DOWN and customers are canceling or scaling back on existing orders.

However it goes down with the UAW and the automakers, there will have to be some sort of reset on new vehicle prices or the automakers won't be selling new vehicles or at least not to the masses, because the masses cannot afford to buy them in the first place.

There will always be a select few who will pay an inflated price for a new vehicle but those people are a distinct minority.

Like the one UAW member said a while back... "we cannot even afford to buy the products we build'. Something has to give and soon.

/ Will UAW Strike? #636  
In 1970 I bought my first new vehicle and paid right at 4k for a very nice Ford Ranchero.

Buying a similar vehicle today (53 years later) might cost 20 times that 4k.

Weird

/ Will UAW Strike? #637  
In 1970 I bought my first new vehicle and paid right at 4k for a very nice Ford Ranchero.

Buying a similar vehicle today (53 years later) might cost 20 times that 4k.

Weird
You can blame it on inflation or the decreasing value of the dollar or whatever 'they' want to blame in on but the bottom line is, new vehicles are priced out of the reach of the average citizen today, which is why I maintain there has to be some sort of reset concerning the cost of a new vehicle or even if the automakers settle with the UAW (which I feel is highly doubtful), the automakers will put themselves out of business, EV's or not because no average Joe can afford to buy them. That includes the non union domestic automakers and Tesla as well.

Far as the 'pie in the sky' 40 percent wage increase goes, it's really not. It's 40 percent over FOUR years which in reality is just keeping pace with inflation, sort of. With inflation hitting over 9% (current quarter), that 40% increase is just keeping status quo.

I guess the underlying issue will be.. 2nd and 3rd tier suppliers will also have to increase their compensation packages for their employees or they won't have a workforce to make the sub assemblies and parts needed to produce the vehicles the automakers make and quite a few of them are already on the thin edge of ceasing to do business as it is.

Viscous cycle and we as the consumers always loose.

I've always maintained that the JIT philosophy the automakers adopted some years back would bite them in the butt, and it is.

Supply chain economics is always touchy, especially now.

/ Will UAW Strike? #638  
5030, you are a wealth of information on many subjects.......whether I like you or not...........

as if you cared..........beat you to it. :ROFLMAO:

/ Will UAW Strike? #639  
Last I knew this site is not “MATCH.com”

/ Will UAW Strike? #640  
5030, you are a wealth of information on many subjects.......whether I like you or not...........

as if you cared..........beat you to it. :ROFLMAO:
I don't come here to be liked by anyone, never have. I do know a lot about what is going on the automotive industry through my BIL and the fact that I worked for over 35 years in a very automotive related industry.

I could tell stories about stuff I witnessed first hand in auto plants. Suffice to say that some but not all autoworkers in unionized plants cannot be employed anywhere else because in a non union plant, they'd be shown the door.

The union protects them from getting canned and always has. That is and always has been my big beef with unions and why, early on in my working career I got out of the union (Teamsters) and went to work at a non union employer and did quite well because I wasn't lazy and I had pride in what I did too. Been my experience that unionized autoworkers have little pride in what they do or the product their company turns out. Again, not all, but some.

I watch the strikers on the picket lines on the news and most of them are what I consider to be unemployable in the private sector and again, if Fords or GM or Stellantis or all of them collectively breaks the UAW and reorganize as non union, there will be a mass exodus of non productive employees very quickly and not by choice either. They will be 'shown the door'.