welding carts

/ welding carts
The drawers are a place to put the tools when the job is done, not while you're using them. Some people just leave everything out, but I prefer to clean up one job before starting the next, as much as possible in a shop where it seems there's always 3 projects running parallel.
I was thinking the tip jelly, tank and tip wrench, gloves and welding accessories might go in the drawer.

/ welding carts
What are you guys using for tank size? The gas shop wanted to sell me the smallest one they had. :unsure:

/ welding carts #43  
What are you guys using for tank size? The gas shop wanted to sell me the smallest one they had. :unsure:
I have 173cuft. .... Yes it's big, but it means less 70 mile round trips to gas supplier....For me it make it cheaper because of fuel and time... Make whatever tank holder on cart in such a way that it can accomodate any size cylinder...

/ welding carts #44  
My only tank smaller than 300cf is the 150 on my custom built cart (post#4 this thread) - and the ONLY reason for that is it's the largest 7" diameter bottle offered, and keeps my cart a bit narrower AND lighter than it woulda been.

Check the pics, you'll see holders for torch, MIG pliers, and nozzle gel (with room for a battery drill beside it) - The pics are decent rez, you can zoom in quite a bit for more details.

By building my own I tic'd about a DOZEN more boxes than ANYTHING I could buy readymade. The upper frame acts as a "roll cage" to protect the gauges, it has a lifting eye that's adjustable in 2 axes so it can be lifted LEVEL regardless of how full the bottle is, the top crossbar lets me tilt it back to be its own hand truck (in that position it runs on 13" no-flat tires) - there's a padded angle iron support for the welder (the wire door side was carefully designed to allow access WITHOUT removing the welder) -

There's a built in hitch for towing with either golf cart or riding mower - in that mode the smaller (5" dual locking casters) get retracted and locked UP with barrel bolts so they don't drag on uneven ground - the bottle gets locked in place with a band of 14 ga. steel (ends have coupler nuts to cinch the bottle in place) - there's a top holddown for the welder so it doesn't slide out when cart is tipped for "hand truck" mode -

Only downside is time; probably took me about a month of messing around, but I grin every time I use it :giggle: ... Steve

/ welding carts #45  
Both of my bottles are "D" size, 7" diameter x 43" tall x 125 cubic feet of gas each bottle.

I use 75% Argon/25% Carbon Dioxide for MIG and 100% Argon for TIG.

My gas supplier is 60 miles away and always has this size in stock for a quick exchange for a full bottle.

They seem to fit good for the cheap HF welding carts.

KC

/ welding carts
My only tank smaller than 300cf is the 150 on my custom built cart (post#4 this thread) - and the ONLY reason for that is it's the largest 7" diameter bottle offered, and keeps my cart a bit narrower AND lighter than it woulda been.

Check the pics, you'll see holders for torch, MIG pliers, and nozzle gel (with room for a battery drill beside it) - The pics are decent rez, you can zoom in quite a bit for more details.

By building my own I tic'd about a DOZEN more boxes than ANYTHING I could buy readymade. The upper frame acts as a "roll cage" to protect the gauges, it has a lifting eye that's adjustable in 2 axes so it can be lifted LEVEL regardless of how full the bottle is, the top crossbar lets me tilt it back to be its own hand truck (in that position it runs on 13" no-flat tires) - there's a padded angle iron support for the welder (the wire door side was carefully designed to allow access WITHOUT removing the welder) -

There's a built in hitch for towing with either golf cart or riding mower - in that mode the smaller (5" dual locking casters) get retracted and locked UP with barrel bolts so they don't drag on uneven ground - the bottle gets locked in place with a band of 14 ga. steel (ends have coupler nuts to cinch the bottle in place) - there's a top holddown for the welder so it doesn't slide out when cart is tipped for "hand truck" mode -

Only downside is time; probably took me about a month of messing around, but I grin every time I use it :giggle: ... Steve
I don't own a tractor and even a real work shop for that matter. This cart will be rolled into the basement for the winter, then out to the car garage for the summer when snow seaon is done. So it needs to be small enough to be rolled in and out, seasonally.

Last edited:
   / welding carts #47  
"I don't own a tractor."

I own three tractors, but I added the lift eye so I could lift the welder (with a crane) and drive a pickup or trailer under it. If your comment refers to bigger bottles, I use a hand truck to move those.

If you're in a hurry to get using the new welder, by all means you should find a bolt-together solution (at least for short term) - if you later decide you wanna build a cart, by then you'll have a longer list of "wanna's" that'll work for YOU - the mm211 I have isn't my first welder, it's the LAST one I bought. Started with acetylene in about 1970, then 250 amp ac/dc stick in '76, transformer mm211 in '08, sold that when I found a nearly new MM252 in 2010 for half price, Hypertherm plasma in 2012, then the newer inverter version of the mm211 (wanted a more portable mig)

I still have everything I listed, EXCEPT the transformer MM211.

By the time I got the newer mm211, my "bucket list" of things to do had reached the above list :rolleyes: Works for me, if ANY of my "brain farts" help somebody that's what we're here for... Steve

/ welding carts #48  
Arly, now that you finished the sentence I apparently interrupted (my bad) it's obvious that you have just as individual a situation as I did - the GOOD news is, today's welders typically weigh less than HALF what the old ones did - my 250 amp copper wound beast weighs just under 200 pounds, my new little Everlast weighs about 25 pounds. I used to pack a lunch box that weighed that much...

My point is, as light as the welder itself is, it's not the problem; I'm always quoting Star Trek - "Space - the final frontier". So for me, the next question would be "daylight basement, or steep crappy stairs, or ??!?"

If it's cheap crappy steep stairs, I DEF retract the 300 cf tank plan (n) ... Steve

Forgot to mention; my LWS charges about 2/3 as much to refill 150's as they do for 300's, helps keep the cost of running C25 a little closer to running CO2, that way I only need to keep Acetylene, Oxy, C25 and Argon...

Last edited:
   / welding carts
Arly, now that you finished the sentence I apparently interrupted (my bad) it's obvious that you have just as individual a situation as I did - the GOOD news is, today's welders typically weigh less than HALF what the old ones did - my 250 amp copper wound beast weighs just under 200 pounds, my new little Everlast weighs about 18 pounds. I used to pack a lunch box that weighed that much...

My point is, as light as the welder itself is, it's not the problem; I'm always quoting Star Trek - "Space - the final frontier". So for me, the next question would be "daylight basement, or steep crappy stairs, or ??!?"

If it's cheap crappy steep stairs, I DEF retract the 300 cf tank plan (n) ... Steve

Forgot to mention; my LWS charges about 2/3 as much to fill 150's as they do for 300's, helps keep the cost of running C25 a little closer to running CO2, that way I only need to keep Acetylene, Oxy, C25 and Argon...
The everlast welder is about 30lbs so the tank will be the hefty part.

/ welding carts #50  
Both of my bottles are "D" size, 7" diameter x 43" tall x 125 cubic feet of gas each bottle.
Same, here. My gas supplier is 12 miles and 20 minutes from here, and I pass them regularly enough in my weekly travels, that I don't feel any need to mount a larger bottle to the cart. If my closest supplier were 60 miles away, I'd probably still buy the 125 cu.ft. size, but keep two on hand to rotate at my convenience.