welding carts

/ welding carts #21  
Home made
Dislikes: none

View attachment 787911

Oddly enough one of my good friends, Steve the Artist (who got me both into heavy equipment as well as welding and is a well-known artist), got one of those crack box stick welders years ago and swears it works well to this day. Both of us have different welders and I keep trying to lure him and his up to my land of Oz so at least we can compare notes using my junk in comparison with his welding junk. Steve just got a high-end ESAB multi-process welder and I'm interested to know how it works compared to my Miller 255 (that I'm thinking of trading in for the new 355).

/ welding carts
I was looking to buy some reasonable cart, then replace the wheels with larger ones for outside/rough terrain use. Seems you guys don't care about the shelves that some have, so maybe a plastic tool box like Moss did to fit under the top, would be best. :unsure:

/ welding carts #23  
Drawers, drawers, and more drawers. Too many of the purchased carts are just shelves, usually just one or two, but none of my welding gear goes well on a shelf. Besides, my shop gets used as much for painting and carpentry as welding, so anything not in a drawer is covered in some mix of sawdust, overspray, grease, or some mix of the three.

Best are home-made, buy a nice toolbox or drawer set, and adapt it to your welder. But in a time crunch, I bought this unit for my most recent welder, and I like it. I wish I could have bought their taller model with more drawers, but as you can see, my preferred storage location came with a height restriction. Bottom drawer is only big enough for ONE helmet and glove set, I have to keep the spare helmet (kids) in another location.

It's plenty sturdy, once you put the weight of the welder and bottle on it, but wasn't cheap. I think I paid more for the cart than the 2nd-hand welder itself, but it got the job done at a time when I was too busy to build one. Brand is Blackstone.

IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1607.JPG

If you have time, I'd buy a mid-grade hip-height toolbox, and bolt or weld my own bottle rack to the back of it. Would likely want to relocate the rear casters for stability, so bottle weight isn't cantilevered behind the factory castor mounts.

/ welding carts #24  
   / welding carts
I'm thinking about using this cart. Has 4" wheels and taller plus one large drawer. Would need to add a tank holder and cable hooks. Leave one handle off or try rotating it so its horizontal.. At HR for $140

1678792455490.png

Last edited:
   / welding carts #27  
Could definitely work. I'd personally opt for full drawers, no shelf, but different people have differing needs. I like that two of the casters lock. Would probably swap two of the swivels (whichever side bottle goes on) to fixed, so it steers more easily, and place the new fixed casters aft of the bottle for better stability. Also, fixed casters will have larger wheels for same mounting height, which is better for moving around a shop with any debris on the floor.

/ welding carts #28  
IMG_1762.JPG

Stainless steel tool cabinet attached to custom base has places to keep all wire, consumables stored and clean. Mig welder and plasma cutter bolted to top.
Base has two bottle rack, 6” locking casters, fork pockets. SS dog food bowls repurposed to wrap cables around. Torch holders and clamps built in.

/ welding carts #29  
Could definitely work. I'd personally opt for full drawers, no shelf, but different people have differing needs. I like that two of the casters lock. Would probably swap two of the swivels (whichever side bottle goes on) to fixed, so it steers more easily, and place the new fixed casters aft of the bottle for better stability. Also, fixed casters will have larger wheels for same mounting height, which is better for moving around a shop with any debris on the floor.
I'd put my welder on the bottom of that yellow cart. I want the weight down low, and I want my tools up on top where I can reach them.

/ welding carts #30  
View attachment 788418

Stainless steel tool cabinet attached to custom base has places to keep all wire, consumables stored and clean. Mig welder and plasma cutter bolted to top.
Base has two bottle rack, 6” locking casters, fork pockets. SS dog food bowls repurposed to wrap cables around. Torch holders and clamps built in.
That's a very nice looking porch railing you have going there! (y) (y)