welding carts

/ welding carts #51  
Labor for filling argon and C25 cylinders is a large part of the price. So using the largest cylinders you can is the cheapest way to buy gas. I use 150 or 200 cubic foot cylinders. I don't remember the exact volume. But they are large diameter and tall. I do have some smaller cylinders that I use when I need to transport my little MIG machine or my little TIG machine. Otherwise I just use the large cylinders and save a bunch of money on gas. Time too because I don't need to have them filled as often. You will need to decide how much you will be welding. I also suggest you buy instead of rent your cylinders.
Eric

/ welding carts
Since I got to move these darn things into my basement*, I was thinking the mid sized tanks might be best. Hopefully leave it on the cart. I used and moved full sized tanks for years, but never these little ones.

*just a few steps.

/ welding carts #53  
Also factor in how you are going to transport them from the gas supplier to your home.

/ welding carts
   / welding carts #57  
   / welding carts #58  
Valve closed. Safety cap on. Vertical for a couple reasons. One being if it's horizontal, the liquid can get out of a leaky valve and present an explosion/fire hazard.

Fun and educational videos...

Hold my beer and watch this.

/ welding carts #59  
Valve closed. Safety cap on. Vertical for a couple reasons. One being if it's horizontal, the liquid can get out of a leaky valve and present an explosion/fire hazard.

Fun and educational videos...

Hold my beer and watch this.

The second one is definitely my favorite.
Falls squarely into the aggressively stupid category just a knife edge away from Darwin awards.
Certainly is entertaining though!

/ welding carts #60  
Compressed CO2 is a liquid below about 88 degrees F, when you draw from the cylinder the pressure drops and it goes gaseous.
Oxygen, Argon and C25 are gaseous in the cylinder. Acetylene's already been covered, but I've always been told that if it gets transported horizontal you just need to leave it vertical for a few hours to allow the acetone to settle out (I prefer 24 :rolleyes:)

I've had my O/A cart since 1973, always just take the whole cart in with bottles secured in the cart, laid horizontal and secured in the truck bed so it's totally cinched down - never had an LWS ***** about it. NEVER, as in NEVER, transported without caps in place REGARDLESS of which gas.

Had questions asked once or twice, when they find out I know more about it than they do, the questions stop. (Just under 35 years in industrial instrumentation, produced/created multiple safety videos, + working foreman/instrument tech in a 12 man maintenance crew for the last 10.

Here's my setup, the acetylene's the biggest single cylinder you can get (420 CF), and is BARELY big enough for the rosebud shown (safe withdrawal rate).

Pics aren't clear, but both tanks are held in by a heavy "2 hump" steel strap, I added the chains - the orange straps are just 'cause I hate rattles.

I recently added the twin hose reel, hoses needed replaced anyway and NOT moving that heavy SOB sounds better the older I get... Steve

Attachments

• AcetyReel.jpg
    AcetyReel.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 52
  • AcetyReel2.JPG
    AcetyReel2.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 53