welding carts

/ welding carts #61  
I got to see an Oxygen bottle launch thru a vehicle, and fly down the road, ca.1992. I was working register (high-school job) at a gas station at a busy intersection of two multi-lane roads, where we had frequent accidents. After awhile, you develop an ear for the sound of a skid that's leading to a collision, versus the dozens of others you'd hear each day of someone just stopping short.

Anyway, one day I hear one of "those" skids, clearly someone trying to stop... hard. I look out the window just in time to see a work van rear-end a car that stopped in front of him. Then I see a 60" tall bottle take off out the back of the van, and go flying up the street behind him, as the oncoming cars swerve off the road to avoid the thing.

Story I got was that the guy was too lazy to install his safety cap, and just had his whole oxy-acetylene torch rig laying down in the back of the van, regulators pointing forward. When he rear-ended the car in front of him, the whole cart slid forward, and the oxy bottle regulator snapped off when it hit the mounting bracket under the driver's seat. The whole bottle took off out thru the back door of the van, and although I couldn't leave the register to go inspect for myself, someone had said it left a pretty near-perfect Ø10 inch hole in one of the back doors.

That said, I still transport all of my bottles laying down flat. I put the bottom of the bottle against the front wall of the pickup bed, lay the bottle down, and run a pair of straps as an "x" across them to the lower pad eyes in the bed. If a bottle seems like it wants to slip, such a small diameter bottle that doesn't provide enough vertical drop on the strap, I just run a single loop around it with each strap. But I also ALWAYS remove the regulator and install the safety cap when a bottle isn't strapped into the cart.

/ welding carts #62  
Yeah, you've got it covered - on the runaway cylinder thing, if you have a 70 pound oxy cylinder with 3000 psi in it, then you suddenly open a 1" diameter hole in the end, you have a 70 lb rocket with initial thrust of just over 2300 pounds - that's 32 TIMES as much thrust as it'd take to move the cylinder - (ignoring friction, that is :=)

My first and LAST close call along those lines was 58 years ago, and missed being my LAST memory by about 2-3 INCHES - the fool I was working with thought he knew everything (and was lazy to boot) - the lazy part was that he always left his regs set for in use pressures instead of backing off to nothing - I was almost in the exact WRONG spot when he hooked up a new oxy bottle and cracked the tank valve wide open - the T handle on the reg launched itself when the reg diaphragm blew out, and after missing my head by inches the T handle went thru 2 stud walls (clad on both sides) and bounced off a car in the parking lot.

After I cleaned out my shorts, I drove to the nearest LWS (about 12 miles) and asked if they had any pamphlets on O/A safety - they did, and after I saw just how many "no-no's" the guy had been doing, I told him not to EVER touch the torch stuff while I was there.

I'm kinda glad for those 2-3 inches; I've done a crapload of fun stuff in the "extra" 58 years... Steve

/ welding carts
You guys are free to start a bottle safety thread. I got a good start on my deluxe welder cart yesterday and will post pics when available.

/ welding carts
I got some cable hooks added today. These will be added to both corners so this is the end the welder will stick out from. The far end will get the tank..
P1150356.jpg

Last edited:
   / welding carts #65  
I am real pleased with the HF ones with the bottle racks. Have both. Use one for O/A torch and tools/etc. Have my arc welder on the otherbwith rod and etac in the bottom compartment. I am contemplating putting a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 " plate on top of the big one for a welding bench. Will then drill and tap for hold downs and vises.

Ron

/ welding carts #66  
To be more relevant to the thread at hand...

Here's my welder cart, it was a $50 auction find, couldn't beat it with a stick so I got it and will modify it to my needs... Obviously the welder is on the top shelf area, the bottom area will get filled in for consumable storage and hopefully I'll make enough room beside the welder for my plasma cutter... I have two cable hooks on the opposite side at the moment but will add something to the back for my 50' 50A extension cord that I will mount the female socket to the cart and possibly make a panel on it so I can connect both the plasma and welder to and pull some 110V for grinders and such... one person can't weld grind and cut at the same time so the circuit will be fine... I just got the pictured bottles and they're too tall so I have to lift the top 1' which I will hinge, and put some sheet metal on the back side of the work surface for safety. I have all the materials for the modification, just need to finish a transmission rebuild before I do fabrication... The miller welder is going to the Garage, my other stick welder already has wheels...

20230108_163107.jpg

20230228_200059.jpg

/ welding carts
I am real pleased with the HF ones with the bottle racks. Have both. Use one for O/A torch and tools/etc. Have my arc welder on the otherbwith rod and etac in the bottom compartment. I am contemplating putting a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 " plate on top of the big one for a welding bench. Will then drill and tap for hold downs and vises.

Ron
My work space is to small for anything like that. :( Hence my small welder cart...

Last edited:
   / welding carts
Got some larger wheels added and a tank mount bracket. I got this Stainless steel bracket off of amzone for about $20 and its pretty nice. The rear tires are pneumatic ones I had laying around here which aren't all that big, but I can replace them with larger ones if I can't appicate there rought terrian ability. The .75 black plastic tank base holder is not yet bolted on.
P1150541.jpg
P1150543.jpg
P1150545.jpg
P1150552.jpg