welding carts

/ welding carts #31  
I'm thinking about using this cart. Has 4" wheels and taller plus one large drawer. Would need to add a tank holder and cable hooks. Leave one handle off or try rotating it so its horizontal.. At HR for $140

View attachment 788345
I have used carts just like the one pictured. It would make a lousy welding cart. The screws will loosen over time and will need constant re-tightening. The cart itself is not very stiff so it will be wobbly as it flexes during use. With the welder on top the setup would be dangerously top heavy. With the welder below the welder will be hard to access. A mig welder in the bottom would also suffer the problem of not being able to open the welder to change wire spools. It is nice when the welder is tilted up some if it is not mounted fairly high. Tilting it up helps to see and access the controls. So you would need to tilt the welder up somehow. The casters are too small except for smooth floors. Just my 2 cents.
Eric

/ welding carts
I was to the store and liked its looks. The 30lb welder will be on its top and I certainly can have it angled like most mig carts have them. Its also wider than many migs carts and I liked the thought it will hold the welder higher off the ground. I checked Surplus center for caster pricing and they are cheap for 4 or 5" ones. Yes it needs to have the rear ones rigid in direction.

/ welding carts #33  
If you locktite the threads when you assemble the cart, the screws may hold better. But it seems like a lot to pay for a cart if you have to turn around and buy casters, too. The kind of casters that are good in a shop with a concrete floor might not be that great if you have to roll it outside in a gravel driveway.

I don't think having a drawer would be that helpful. When I'm welding, it seems like all my tools are out.

I've seen some comments that the Husky tool carts at Home Depot are also competitive with the HF offerings. You might take a look to see if they have a better deal or at least wait for HF to put the cart on sale or offer the 10% off coupon.

The most helpful thing to me was getting a welding table which in my case is a sheet of metal on a tube frame, but it gives me a place to layout the work and weld.

/ welding carts
Does anyone know how to get a 20% cupon for HF?? I just googled it and don't want to DL CNET software for it.

/ welding carts #35  
You can sign up for coupons on the hf website or at the store. They vary them, & toolboxes/carts come in occasionally. 1 or 2 times a year, they offer an " anything" coupon, but most coupons can't be used for toolboxes or anything expensive/useful.

There's an app you can put on your phone that will update the coupons. You can join their " insiders" club for better discounts/more stuff discounted as well ... like 20 bucks a year.

/ welding carts #36  
Does anyone know how to get a 20% cupon for HF?? I just googled it and don't want to DL CNET software for it.
I don't know if they do the blanket 20% off coupons anymore. They offer 20% off coupons for specific items, but haven't seen that 20% off coupon in a couple years.

/ welding carts
If you locktite the threads when you assemble the cart, the screws may hold better. But it seems like a lot to pay for a cart if you have to turn around and buy casters, too. The kind of casters that are good in a shop with a concrete floor might not be that great if you have to roll it outside in a gravel driveway.

I don't think having a drawer would be that helpful. When I'm welding, it seems like all my tools are out.

I've seen some comments that the Husky tool carts at Home Depot are also competitive with the HF offerings. You might take a look to see if they have a better deal or at least wait for HF to put the cart on sale or offer the 10% off coupon.

The most helpful thing to me was getting a welding table which in my case is a sheet of metal on a tube frame, but it gives me a place to layout the work and weld.
All the welding carts I looked at had smaller wheels this this one has now.... That is plain small ones. All my shop tables are bloted togther.

/ welding carts
I ordered some nice casters from Surplus center and priced out co2 gas tanks from our only supplier here.

/ welding carts
These casters from Surplus center had a UPS to home shipping option for just $10. There normal shipping was $16 so I tried the 10. I wonder whats up with this new low costs shipping?

/ welding carts #40  
The drawers are a place to put the tools when the job is done, not while you're using them. Some people just leave everything out, but I prefer to clean up one job before starting the next, as much as possible in a shop where it seems there's always 3 projects running parallel.